Drove the Rav to Truckee Taboe this weekend

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD172

So I decided to see if I could get to Truckee in the Rav4. I can report that I left with an extended charge and stopped in Sacramento for lunch and a movie. Sacramento garages have a bunch of clippercreeks, including a 50 amp unit on the top of the garage I was in. I averaged 3.5mi/kwh from Pleasanton on this leg. The Guessometer showed 125mi range after the charge in Sac and Truckee was only a little over 100 miles away. I did decide to stop in Colfax for 45min to get a little extra charge to be safe. I arrived in Truckee with 19 miles left and averaged about 2.4mi/kwh. I drove 65 to Sac but slowed down to about 55-60 going up the mountain. The trip back was even better I drove about 70mph to Davis and averaged over 5mi/kwh. Davis had a Tesla branded clippercreek and the area was nicer than Sac. After dinner and a movie I drove home on a non extended charge since it was only 78mi to home. Overall It was an enjoyable drive

HD172 said:
So I decided to see if I could get to Truckee in the Rav4. I can report that I left with an extended charge and stopped in Sacramento for lunch and a movie. Sacramento garages have a bunch of clippercreeks, including a 50 amp unit on the top of the garage I was in. I averaged 3.5mi/kwh from Pleasanton on this leg. The Guessometer showed 125mi range after the charge in Sac and Truckee was only a little over 100 miles away. I did decide to stop in Colfax for 45min to get a little extra charge to be safe. I arrived in Truckee with 19 miles left and averaged about 2.4mi/kwh. I drove 65 to Sac but slowed down to about 55-60 going up the mountain. The trip back was even better I drove about 70mph to Davis and averaged over 5mi/kwh. Davis had a Tesla branded clippercreek and the area was nicer than Sac. After dinner and a movie I drove home on a non extended charge since it was only 78mi to home. Overall It was an enjoyable drive

Sounds like a fun trip! Congrats on making it without any issues!

Great report, HD172... and a big hello from the other Rav4 EV in Pleasanton :).

I'll have to try that very same trip soon.

HD, nice drive, great data point. Thanks.

Davis is practically sea level, and Donna Summit is ~6600 ft I think. So if you didn't stop for that 45 min charge, it would have been really really close right? Your charge in Sacramento was extended charge as well?

Did you remember how many fuel bars you had when you reached Truckee with only 19 miles on the GOM?

I almost attempted a ski trip from my house in Tustin (SoCal) to Snow Valley Resort, 70miles with 6000ft climb, but chickened out. Looks like I would have made it without charge.

I'm definitely glad I charged up. I had 2 bars and the plug in light came on right as I pulled into my destination.

edmc do you have a white one too? If so I saw you parked in front of Walgreens last week.

hi hd172,

how long did it take to charge up on your diff legs?
i'm in bay area an my do similar trip.
thanks

Back