Death Star

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoltor

I drive by the death star, I mean, California Fuel Cell Partnership each morning on my way to work. Note prominent logo of participating auto manufacturers (if you can make that out, this is a cell phone pic).

From Wikipedia:
In January 1999, two state government agencies—California Air Resources Board and California Energy Commission joined with six private sector companies—Ballard Power Systems, DaimlerChrysler, Ford Motor Company, BP, Shell Hydrogen and ChevronTexaco—to form the California Fuel Cell Partnership. The goal was to demonstrate and promote the potential for fuel cell vehicles as a clean, safe, and practical alternative to vehicles powered by internal combustion engines.

DeathStar2_zps22222067.jpg

It will be interesting to see how close they are to a viable release.

GM had a fuel cell group here in western NY. They developed several fuel cells that were in Chevy Equinox's. My father in law drove one as a test vehicle....250 miles per day, 3 days a week for 2 years. The project wrapped about 3 years ago. So the technology is possible (and was 5 years ago) but the price is the issue. The rumored price of the fuel cell itself was 250k back then. You have to pull a lot of cost out of that to get it into a consumer application.

Back