Climate control + range

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boredcleaner

With the generally nice CA weather, I've been trying to find a setting for the climate control that doesn't suffer a significant GoM range penalty and still allow for some air flow. In ECO HIGH mode, turning off the A/C would seem like a way to get the fan on but not require much power. However, the range readout doesn't show any difference between A/C on and A/C off. Is there a way to turn the fan on independently?

Thanks.

Boredcleaner... you have been decoded. ;)
..--- ----- .---- ..--- / .-. .- ...- ....- / . ...- / -... .-.. .. --.. --.. .- .-. -.. / .--. . .- .-. .-..
translation
2012 RAV4 EV BLIZZARD PEARL

boredcleaner said:
Is there a way to turn the fan on independently?

Thanks.

We had this problem in the 2011-2012 LEAF, and convinced Nissan to change it, which they did for 2013.

We can now run the 2013 LEAF fan without power the AC. There are several hacks out there to do the same for the 2011-2012. Maybe you can apply this to the Rav4?

It does seem rather odd that if I turn the fan on low with A/C off the GOM shows a 10% decrease in range. Hopefully that wouldn't translate into real world mileage loss so high unless Toyota found the worlds most inefficient fan.

the2bobs said:
It does seem rather odd that if I turn the fan on low with A/C off the GOM shows a 10% decrease in range. Hopefully that wouldn't translate into real world mileage loss so high unless Toyota found the worlds most inefficient fan.

The GOM isn't range... it's a guess based on preprogrammed adjustments and using PAST driving.

Range is how far the car can go.

I noticed the same issue in an attempt at trying to use fan only, with the GoM reducing the estimated range by 10% regardless of having the AC on or off. While I haven't paid too much attention after the first few days of driving my RAV4 and don't know if it improves its estimate with usage, I assume the operative word is guess in GoM, at least when it comes to the climate control usage.

With that being said, an electrically driven variable speed compressor is pretty efficient, and I wouldn't worry to much about using the AC even in the benign environment we have here in SoCal. While I would guess the compressor could pull a kW or two peak power, the average power draw is going to be quite a bit smaller with a more typical heat load on the cabin. Driving style is going to have a much more significant effect on range, so if you are really trying to eek out those extra few miles, just slow down. In my case, I've been either cracking the windows at low speed, using the vent, or turning on the AC if the previous two don't keep me sufficiently cool and not really worrying about it.

AvLegends said:
Is the heater portion of the climate control a true heat pump or is it a heating element?

On the Rav4 EV, as well as 2011-2012 LEAF, and 2013 LEAF-S, they all use the same 6kW resistance heater and it SUCKS the power to heat the car.

Telsa Model S and LEAF-SV or SL use the heat pump for AC and heat, and the resistance heat for when it gets REALLY cold (below freezing).

Thanks Tony. Haven't had a chance to use the heater yet... probably not until sometime this fall/winter.

Back