AeroVironment Charging issue

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleRav4

I have been using the Aerovironment L2 public chargers in WA and OR since I got my car with no technical problems. Up until recently they were free. On a recent trip to Portland from Seattle, I was very disappointed that they didn't work.
I pulled into the charger in Centralia WA at the Wendy's. I have used it in the past without issue. First, the charger would react to the key fob but not switch to Charger Ready. So I called the number and they inform me there is now a fee. OK, no problem. Except that there are only 2 choices, a monthly $20 fee for unlimited charging, or a one-time fee per charge. OK I will take that one, since I don't use them very much. But the one time charge does not work with the FOB and cannot be set up with an account. You have to call and give them your CC info each time. This does not work well while standing next to a busy freeway with poor cell coverage. But let's do it this time.
Then we found the problem, as soon as the RAV4 would switch to charge mode (switch from alternating yellow lights to one flashing) the charger would kick out of charge mode (Ready to Charge). We tried multiple times and could not get it to go. Again the only change is to the fee structure. I finally gave up and went and found the Blink Chargers over at Centralia College.
On the way back I tried the one along I5 in Ridgefield. Exactly the same effect. For some reason when the Rav4 engages the charging relays, the AeroVironment charger disconnects. Again had to fall back on a Blink.

Agree but that doesn't explain why the Charger was kicking off-line.
It also doesn't answer why is was getting there. I repeated the normal, ON-OFF-Charge Immediately routine several times always with the same result. The relays in the RAV would click and the AV charger would kick off.
I was hoping to see if anyone else has run into this with AV chargers since they went to a fee basis.

SeattleRav4 said:
Agree but that doesn't explain why the Charger was kicking off-line.
It also doesn't answer why is was getting there. I repeated the normal, ON-OFF-Charge

Could be a glitch in the not-too-well quality checked firmware in the Rav4. I'd see if the same thing happens on this specific AV charge station with other Rav4's or EV's.

Hmmm,
I used the AeroVironment L2 charger in Leavenworth, WA without a hitch. I also had to call in to pay the one-time fee ($4 regardless of length/time of use), and the first time I plugged in it didn't start charging either. The guy on the phone had me unplug, he reset the charger and the second time it worked fine. $4 for a charge from 1 bar to full extended charge was actually a pretty good deal.

Back