Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another New Guy, CO owner
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:19 pm 

Hi everyone! I am beyond excited to be a part of this group and owning my first of probably soon to be two Rav4 EV's. Ive been lurking for a few weeks and appreciate a lot of what I've been reading. I'm of course a little nervous about all the common failures but I didn't let that stop me. I purchased my Rav4 EV sight unseen from a used car dealer. Not normally my style but out here in CO people are asking $3k above "nomal" price with 5x the mileage. Ive been an ASE master mechanic for nearly 20 years but am lacking any EV/hybrid experience. Naturally I have a few questions, any input or guidance would be appreciated. 1) Are there any "approved" dealers here in CO that someone has had experience with? my recalls are done but I have a week left of powertrain warranty I hear the famous clunking and of course, assume the worst, my motor. 2) The humming noise under the hood, I assume is normal of motor operation and "juice" flowing but I have no level of comparison. Are there any videos out there that can show me what to expect with normal operation? 3) I will need training. I know worldpac holds classes but I'm not sure if they are worth it, any suggestions on where to become EV "certified"? 4) the battery coolant motor runs during charging. I can only assume this is normal to keep them cool, but the pump motor is definitely not discrete. What is normal?

I also noticed there is no DIY section. If my motor (bearings) fail, I fully intend on replacing them myself. Worst case ill pull it and ship it to Tony. I am also handy with a soldering Iron. Does anyone know when the heater/DC to DC/ gateway/ charging system fails, is it a simple resistor/diode.. etc that fails?

Post subject: Re: Another New Guy, CO owner
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:55 pm 

Welcome aboard! That’s a lot of questions.