Charging Station Map - do I have to pay for this function?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlrainey

Hi. First time on the forum and I couldn't do a good enough search to see if this has been discussed already - my apologies if this is an old topic. I am trying to figure out how to get the charging stations to plot as POIs on my map. I have created an account on toyota.com, I have created an account with entune. Now, entune is asking: "An active Safety Connect subscription is required for Plug-in Hybrid & EV Apps. Your Contract ID can be located on the top right-hand corner of your "Safety Connect Subscriber Service Agreement." If you have not enrolled in Safety Connect or do not know your Contract ID, please call 1-800-331-4331 and follow the prompts for Safety Connect." On its website, it looks like I have to pay for this service. Is this correct? I can't believe that I can have gas stations plotted for free, but can't find the charging stations. ? Has anyone ever linked/bluetoothed their chargepoint app or blink app to the Rav4EV map? Thanks.

1. The RAV4 EV comes with 3 years of Safety Connect included. You do have to call and set it up though.
2. The NAV system in the car has its own charging station database. There is an option to show stations on the map all the time. However, I don't think this is useful, mostly because the data is pretty stale. Plugshare.com or the individual charging network apps on your phone are more useful. When I travel long distance to a specific charging location, I just enter the address in the NAV as a destination so it shows the distance to go to the station.

almost none of the places i've actually charged are on the Rav4's charging station map. It seems like an unmaintained afterthought feature.

Nissan beats the snot out of Toyota in this dept.

LEAF can update charging stations with a push of a button, and show stations as an option with a dedicated button. This way drivers can select to show the info or not, and it's current.

Also, pre A/C and charge timers worked really well.

Toy's etune is total crap. Useles really.

dcxplant said:
Nissan beats the snot out of Toyota in this dept.

LEAF can update charging stations with a push of a button, and show stations as an option with a dedicated button. This way drivers can select to show the info or not, and it's current.

Also, pre A/C and charge timers worked really well.

Toy's etune is total crap. Useles really.
Except the charging station database used by the Leaf is also pretty lousy and often out of date. It also doesn't have any crowd-sourced comments ala Plugshare nor price (other that whether it's free or not). There's no way I'd depend on it. I use Plugshare.

Charging timers on the Leaf work fine except there are a few quirks that could end up biting you, if you're not careful or until you discover them. I almost never use the timers.

Back