Check EV system

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdw007

I am in Marietta, Georgia and have happily owned my RAV4 for almost 5 years. My local Toyota dealer shipped the car out to Tustin CA to have the onboard charger replaced about 4 years ago under warranty and then I paid to have the car shipped back to GA.
While driving home, I noticed a clunk sound and the feeling that the car went into neutral, but it quickly went back into drive. Didn't think too much of it at the time. When I got home, I plugged into the 40amp 240v charger as normal. The next morning it wouldn't start. We had a low temperature outside of 28 degrees. I now have the Check EV system error again. I changed out the 12 V battery with the 24F from Costco. I restarted the car six times with a 1 minute wait in between starts, but I still have the error. The car will go into N, but not drive or reverse. The READY light blinks but then everything on the dash lights up. No heat from the heater. Power steering is dead. When I try to charge, the left light blinks about five times, then both lights blink very fast about 19 times.
I had the car towed again to the same local dealer as before, but now it is out of warranty. They ran the codes and found P312 F. They told me to take it to Tesla. I told them that this was a Toyota and Tesla would not work on it. After a week of phone calls to Toyota HQ, my only solution is to have the car towed to a dealer in California. I have an independent warranty for the car that covers everything and is still valid for up to 98K and 2024. Would anyone recommend a dealer or perhaps another alternative that would be my best choice to send it to?
All advice would be gladly received!

The two most likely causes are coolant in the drive unit and traction battery contactors.

I would recommend calling Tony at QC Charge and discussing whether he can bill your 3rd party warranty for repairs.
In any case, I don't think you have much choice but to ship the car to California for repair. Either a dealer or QC Charge.

wdw007 said:
When I try to charge, the left light blinks about five times, then both lights blink very fast about 19 times.
I had the car towed again to the same local dealer as before, but now it is out of warranty. They ran the codes and found P312 F.

While there was no solution posted, the "19 flashes" rang a bell and I found the previous thread where it was mentioned.

This sounds like you most likely have a failed contactor. Pay attention when you try to start the car: do you hear a 'clunk-clunk' of the two contactors closing? Perhaps just a single clunk?

alflash said:
The probability of this assumption of yours is equal to / tends to zero!

Sorry Vlad, I have to disagree with you. If it was only a charger fault, the car should go to READY. No READY indicates a more serious problem.

If the complaint was only that the vehicle didn't charge, then yes, I agree the internal OBC fuses would be a likely suspect.

Hi wdw007,

I’ve had several great RAV4 EV service experiences with Nalley Toyota in Roswell, GA. They replaced the Drive Unit (DU) in my 2012 under its original factory warranty a few years ago, and the DU in my 2014 yesterday under my Toyota Platinum extended warranty. It has about 89k miles on it now, so I hope this will be the last DU it needs! That extended warranty just saved me $7k, so thanks to all of the other RAV-ers here who encouraged me to buy it. Oh yeah, Nalley also removed and reinstalled my JdeMO during the DU swap for a nominal fee of $640. So, with a great Toyota dealer like this in Georgia, I see no reason for you to ship your car to California - again.

Let me know if you want to contact Nalley and I will give you my service tech’s info. I don’t know if they will honor your 3rd party warranty or not, but you can ask them.

Back