Hello to the Remaining Rav4 EV Owners Out There

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cost of the replacement motor was $5825K and labor to replace was $965K.

The cost of the replacement motor was $5825.00 and labor to replace was $965.00.

asavage said:
That's what I thought, but then I figured maybe Alex knew something else.

No, It was my mistake, they are different... but they [look] similar.
Looking at James Klafehn videos, he did manage to connect a P100D pack in series with his Rav4 EV, so that leads me to believe it can be done...

If you mount batteries external to the vehicle, as jimbo did, then any pack can be adapted, but all RAV4 EVs are eventually going to require module replacement (or cells replacement, a more challenging task for most) with something that will fit within the confines of existing or modified vehicle envelope. I'm always on the lookout for someone who has travelled that path, as I really like this vehicle.

Still driving my 2012 everyday. 76K miles with motor swapped at 42K. GOM show >110 miles since I use local back roads mostly.

Recently moved from CA to Seattle area. Saw another Rav4EV (pearl white) in Redmond and Woodinville. Assuming same car since there's so few around outside of CA. I lived in San Jose area, and I used to see at least one every week.
That must be me!! I live in Monroe, and I have a home in Southern Cali. I think I've seen you, too!

Hey guys. Great car! I wish I still had one of mine.
Seeing as how you guys are mentioning batteries, here is a video in which I tried to fit Tesla Model S batteries into the existing case.

My wife and I are still enjoying our Rav4 EV at 76K miles, after going through the typical early cycle of replacing the drive motor, etc. The car has been trouble-free for 20K miles or more.

I am sad to see that there are few postings being made, as the number of Rav4EV owners dwindles. I miss the excitement we all had in the 2012-2014 period when we were all so excited about owning such a unique and exciting vehicle.

We recently moved to San Diego County, where I thought I would see many more Rav4 EV's than in Riverside County, but I haven't seen one in our six months here at the coast. My Toyota service manager said that he sees about one or two a month come in for service.

I continue to have fun explaining the history of our vehicle when I see people trying to figure out what it is. I even see people in my rear-view mirror at a traffic light excitedly talking about it. I added some very nice Tesla stickers to the side door panels, which confuses people even more. Many a time, I have had to open the small door on the side panel of the cargo compartment to show the components that are labeled "Tesla" to prove my point.

In any case, for those few of us that are left, continue to have fun with our amazing vehicle.

Brian
Dec 2023 UPDATE: Our "baby-Tesla" is still going strong at 85K. After moving to the Coast of San Diego County two years ago, we still have not seen another Rav4EV. Our 10-year extended warranty will expire Oct. 2024, and then we will be in "no man's land." We will keep the car as long as it runs and doesn't require an super-expensive repair. Still fun explaining the vehicle to puzzled by-standers.

My wife and I are still enjoying our Rav4 EV at 76K miles, after going through the typical early cycle of replacing the drive motor, etc. The car has been trouble-free for 20K miles or more.

I am sad to see that there are few postings being made, as the number of Rav4EV owners dwindles. I miss the excitement we all had in the 2012-2014 period when we were all so excited about owning such a unique and exciting vehicle.

We recently moved to San Diego County, where I thought I would see many more Rav4 EV's than in Riverside County, but I haven't seen one in our six months here at the coast. My Toyota service manager said that he sees about one or two a month come in for service.

I continue to have fun explaining the history of our vehicle when I see people trying to figure out what it is. I even see people in my rear-view mirror at a traffic light excitedly talking about it. I added some very nice Tesla stickers to the side door panels, which confuses people even more. Many a time, I have had to open the small door on the side panel of the cargo compartment to show the components that are labeled "Tesla" to prove my point.

In any case, for those few of us that are left, continue to have fun with our amazing vehicle.

Brian
Hello Brian… we purchased our 2014 Rav4EV this past month.
We live in San Diego too.
Had 109k miles and runs great

Hello Brian… we purchased our 2014 Rav4EV this past month.
We live in San Diego too.
Had 109k miles and runs great
Thanks for the greeting! We are in Vista. Nice to know that someone was actually interested enough to buy a Rav4EV at this late stage. I was pleased to read some of the posts mentioning QC Charge, which I just learned is located in Vista as well--very reassuring if we run into charging problems. Our Platinum Warranty is good until next October, when we will be timed out. After that, we will join you in "No Man's Land" warranty-wise. :)

I worked for Toyota (Headquarters in Torrance, CA) back in December 2014 when I decided to use my employee discount to buy a new RAV4 EV. At the time there were none available in the LA region where I live so I went up to Palo Alto to buy my white EV. People at my office thought I was crazy to buy one due to the known engine whine issue and high price. Yet here I am 9 years later very happy I did so. The car has 111k miles on it and it’s still going strong! Super versatile and nearly maintenance free. I always charge at home and with my level-2 charger it’s quick and easy. I’ve owned about 20 Toyotas (and Lexus’) over the years but the EV is the best of all! I’ve considered purchasing a Tesla, but can’t bear to sell my beloved RAV4 EV. Are there any other original owners out there like me?

Hi everyone, I bought my 2012 RAV4 EV in April 2021 with 93,000 miles and it now has 146,000 miles and it's running well.

The onboard charger failed, and I replaced it myself. I also had the motor rebuilt by QC Charge and a JdeMO installed.

Since then, my brother and sister have both bought their own RAV4 EVs (both 2013 models) with less than 80,000 miles on each of them, and we are all having a jolly old time driving past the gas stations.

My Mother has lots of Solar plus a 40 amp Leviton EVSE and we have a family activity every Tuesday and Thursday (pricing swap meet donations that will be sold to benefit the local high school at a weekly swap meet my brother started 20 years ago). All three RAV4s converge twice a week for pricing and we have a chargefest. Both my brother and sister also have slower chargers at home.

We all love the cars and for the moment at least we are living the EV dream.

I often wonder what I would buy to replace the RAV4. There's nothing like it in this price range.

David

We are the original owners of a 2013 Silver, which now has 147,000 miles! Motor was replaced twice, once at 78,000 miles and the second time at 89,000. Both under warranty, thank goodness, because the first bill was $12,000 and the second was over $27,000 and took a month to complete.

The car has literally saved my sanity. I'm in Los Angeles and used to drive from the north San Fernando Valley to West LA for work on the 405 Freeway. I was able to use the carpool lane for five years (three original years and then it was extended for two at that time)! When I had to go back to the regular lanes, I almost lost my mind. We are now retired and don't drive much. Range is maybe 80 miles. We are also on the original brakes! I use the regenerative braking all the time.

We will be looking to buy next year. The car has been wonderful and it has served us well for ten years. The only thing we are missing is the long range. We know that other issues are imminent and wish to switch to a new car before costly repairs are necessary.

Like many of you, we will never buy a gas engine again. We were excited about the Chevrolet Equinox EV priced at $30,000, but that price has already been increased and the delivery delayed. Would love to own another Toyota, but I guess we'll have to wait until they decide to be serious about EVs.

We are the original owners of a 2013 Silver, which now has 147,000 miles! Motor was replaced twice, once at 78,000 miles and the second time at 89,000. Both under warranty, thank goodness, because the first bill was $12,000 and the second was over $27,000 and took a month to complete.

The car has literally saved my sanity. I'm in Los Angeles and used to drive from the north San Fernando Valley to West LA for work on the 405 Freeway. I was able to use the carpool lane for five years (three original years and then it was extended for two at that time)! When I had to go back to the regular lanes, I almost lost my mind. We are now retired and don't drive much. Range is maybe 80 miles. We are also on the original brakes! I use the regenerative braking all the time.

We will be looking to buy next year. The car has been wonderful and it has served us well for ten years. The only thing we are missing is the long range. We know that other issues are imminent and wish to switch to a new car before costly repairs are necessary.

Like many of you, we will never buy a gas engine again. We were excited about the Chevrolet Equinox EV priced at $30,000, but that price has already been increased and the delivery delayed. Would love to own another Toyota, but I guess we'll have to wait until they decide to be serious about EVs.
Bobgirl, I too am watching the EV market for the right time to downgrade to a new EV but with more mileage per charge. I am reading that prices will likely start falling in the next year or two as production costs, including batteries, drop. I want to wait long enough for solid state batteries to start rolling out, maybe 2027. It would be awesome, to have an EV that could fully charge in 10 minutes with no risk of fire or battery degradation. The 600+/- range would not hurt either. I’m sure those will start out pricey, so we’ll see.

I worked for Toyota (Headquarters in Torrance, CA) back in December 2014 when I decided to use my employee discount to buy a new RAV4 EV. At the time there were none available in the LA region where I live so I went up to Palo Alto to buy my white EV. People at my office thought I was crazy to buy one due to the known engine whine issue and high price. Yet here I am 9 years later very happy I did so. The car has 111k miles on it and it’s still going strong! Super versatile and nearly maintenance free. I always charge at home and with my level-2 charger it’s quick and easy. I’ve owned about 20 Toyotas (and Lexus’) over the years but the EV is the best of all! I’ve considered purchasing a Tesla, but can’t bear to sell my beloved RAV4 EV. Are there any other original owners out there like me?
You sound like a mirror of me. I bought one of the last 2014s when they were cutting $20k off the sticker price for a lease. I only charge with my 40A L2 at home. I still get 95 mile in the summer. Toyota/Tesla replaced my motor early on due to faulty temperature sensors. I have replace the onboard charger once myself, with help from my friend in the Bay Aea and Alflash in Ukraine. Now the motor whines a lot but I can live with that until I need to rebuild or replace the motor.

BTW, my best friend worked at Toyota Torrance until the made managent move to Texas. He lease a Mirai just as a left. I can’t say that was his smartest decision. You may know him.

I am! Bought my white one from Tustin Toyota in September 2014. I love this car and would never part with it!!

That *might* have been mine; I lived in Duvall for 13 years, but moved away in May2022. Mine is blue. I used to be in Woodinville quite a bit, esp. to/from the Costco just north of the city limits in Grace (where the state tax is "only" 7.8%, making that Costco my go-to).

I saw another blue one in Duvall once, blew my mind, a few years ago.
A blue one in Port Townsend last year (that isn't the white one that lives at Power Trip Energy)
Plugshare shows a blue one that runs around in the Mt. Vernon-Anacortes area.

The Puget Sound has a concentration of them.

Back