just before the extended warranty runs out - buy another?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferenc

Before the factory warranty ran out, I bought the extende factory warranty (from Gilroy), and when they repainted the body late (East Bay), I asked them to look into the rear 'whine' at certain speeds. They said it was fine, until I had it towed in this past summer for a new drive motor assy.

In a few months the Gilroy bought warranty runs out, and I'm tempted to buy another, but not sure what and where.

Suggestions?
Sure glad I had the factory extended!
Ferenc

ferenc said:
Before the factory warranty ran out, I bought the extende factory warranty (from Gilroy), and when they repainted the body late (East Bay), I asked them to look into the rear 'whine' at certain speeds. They said it was fine, until I had it towed in this past summer for a new drive motor assy.

In a few months the Gilroy bought warranty runs out, and I'm tempted to buy another, but not sure what and where.

Suggestions?
Sure glad I had the factory extended!
Ferenc
I bought an additional 5 years / 60,000 miles after my initial 8 years / 100,000 miles ran out. My car had 70,000 miles at the time. The cost was less than a cabin heater replacement.

@ miimura ... which dealer and how much did you pay? Last year my brother asked his staff to get a quote from a few dealers here in the bay area and was quoted $5000!!! Naturally he didn't go for it and of course the motor went bad last week! We've had 2 of 3 Rav motors go bad just months after the extended warranties expired! 3rd Rav has warranty until Sept. 2022, so I need to buy another warranty or get a different EV (not so easy with all the shortages and each time I get ready to put an order in for the Y, the price goes UP!)

TIA
Eugene

I am sending PMs to people who are asking where I got it and how much I paid. I got it in the Bay Area and cheaper and easier to deal with than the guy in Montana.

I bought my Rav from Carvana. I bought the warranty. It is administered by Silver Rock. After 80K, the motor bearings failed. The $11K repair cost me $55. Then the main fuse blew. I presume because they didn't reseat it properly. That $500 repair was $55.
My warranty was about $1,500 and was three years and up to 125K. I still have half a year to go and 35K left on the warranty. Not sure it would be the same coverage if you bought it on the street, but I'm happy with SilverRock. They are also easy to deal with.

miimura said:
I am sending PMs to people who are asking where I got it and how much I paid. I got it in the Bay Area and cheaper and easier to deal with than the guy in Montana.

Hi,
I also bought the extended warranty, and want to buy another one. Mine just ran out this month, and I am in the bay area.

Thanks,
Scott

My Toyota Extra Care VSA expires in September. A couple of weeks ago I called Toyota of Kirkland, where I'd purchased the warranty in Sep2017, and received a quote for another warranty. This one would be for four years instead of five, around $2400. I'll follow up in August and see if that goes up, but there's little advantage to buying a VSA before the current VSA expires.

Is the "Toyota Extra Care VSA" different than the Toyota Platinum vehicle service agreement (VSA)? I got the Platinum 8yr/125K Mi agreement before my factory warrantee ran out, and want to extend it. (It has expired in May) I haven't found any local dealer willing to sell me a Toyota VSA, only 3rd party ones.

I had my motor replaced, battery replaced, and new white paint job covered by the "Platinum VSA" so I think its almost mandatory for these vehicles.

Anybody bought one recently? Where?

Thanks,
Scott

This is my old Sep2017 VSA:

Toyota's Vehicle Service Agreement comes in many flavors. In the above, my VSA form is checked "Platinum" but other levels are options. I don't know the differences between VSA levels. And, I don't know what I was quoted in my recent phone convo with Toy. of Kirkland. Sorry that I can't be more helpful.

Hi Al,
Thanks for your post, guess you got the Platinum too.
I was looking at my expired one, they sent a nice little book after I bought it.
I bought it Dec 5 2016 just before you bought yours, but the activation date was my original purchase date.

The Platinum that I got has
agreement type new
$0 deductible
transferable yes
Roadside assistance yes
Dislocation Benefit $100 day / 5 days max
Substitute Transportation $50/Day 5 Days per repair visit

z3scot said:
Hi Al,
Thanks for your post, guess you got the Platinum too.
I was looking at my expired one, they sent a nice little book after I bought it.
I bought it Dec 5 2016 just before you bought yours, but the activation date was my original purchase date.

The Platinum that I got has
agreement type new
$0 deductible
transferable yes
Roadside assistance yes
Dislocation Benefit $100 day / 5 days max
Substitute Transportation $50/Day 5 Days per repair visit
"New Car" plans are from the original sale date entering service and total odometer mileage. "Used Car" plans are from the date of purchase and odometer reading at the time of the Service Agreement.

I was never able to find anyong willing to sell me another warranty when mr first one was expiring. I got close with a guy that @miimura referred me to, but he refused at the last minute. I've given up unless someone finds a lead for me.

davewill said:
I was never able to find anyong willing to sell me another warranty when mr first one was expiring. I got close with a guy that @miimura referred me to, but he refused at the last minute. I've given up unless someone finds a lead for me.

Yeah I called that guy too, but he told me he was told that he couldn't sell them anymore.

asavage said:
Dave, perhaps your vehicle's mileage is a factor. Mine has 104k, which is fairly low, and that might be a reason why I received a quote. How many miles were/are on yours?

92,000 miles. I got one other guy to give me a quote, but he insisted I come in to sign in person, which was not doable. No amount of negotiation would get them to budge.

I just got a quote on a Toyota Platinum warranty, but the dealer said it didn't cover the battery.
Is this true? I have 79K mi, I think the value of these policies is the risk of battery problems. My battery was replaced 4 years ago due to a bad contactor inside. I hate to pay ~$3K and then have the battery go out.

Anybody know about this?

Thanks,
Scott

z3scot said:
I just got a quote on a Toyota Platinum warranty, but the dealer said it didn't cover the battery.
Is this true? I have 79K mi, I think the value of these policies is the risk of battery problems. My battery was replaced 4 years ago due to a bad contactor inside. I hate to pay ~$3K and then have the battery go out.

Anybody know about this?
I believe this is true. Even with the Platinum Warranty, if your contactors fail, it will probably not be covered. "Batteries" (unspecified types), "Fuel Cell Vehicle Battery Pack", "Hybrid Vehicle Battery Pack", are all excluded from coverage. Expecting a "Electric Vehicle Battery Pack" to be covered because it is not explicitly specified is a bit of a stretch. "Hybrid Vehicle Relay Assembly" is also excluded. All of these components are covered under a factory warranty of at least 8 years & 100,000 miles. In some cases they are 10 years and 150,000 miles, depending on the model.

So, given the above, I expect that if the contactors in my Tesla Battery Pack fail, now that my car is more than 8 years old, I will have to pay a third party to drop the pack, open the cover, and replace the contactors. A dealer will not do this service because it is part of the whole battery pack which they consider to be a single field replaceable unit.

I purchased an additional 5 years and 60,000 miles Platinum Warranty after my original 8 years and 100,000 mile "New Car" Platinum plan expired because of other things that are likely to fail like the drive unit and the cabin heater.

Back