Help-Sign the petition for long-distance DCFC network in CA!

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 340

OK,

I edited what Tony, Michael B, and I have posted here to make a short petition to urge the California Energy Commission to deploy a DC fast charging network to enable long-distance EV travel in CA. I kept it short and positive, leaving out many specific suggestions we have given them and also did not bad mouth hydrogen in order to not give them anything that is easy to hate.

It is clear that the CEC is not interested in doing this, probably because there is little/ no pressure to do so from state government and lobbyists. It is up to US to tell them that we expect something useful for the $20M of taxpayer money they spend on EV infrastructure each year (did you know that?).

Please sign the petition and pleas also pass on this info & link to other people in our state. I think that we will have a big impact if we can get 1000 signatures, and it would be good to do that within about a month. This is a big number but less than 1% of all plug-in vehicles in CA. It would be great if you / we could circulate this to forums / blogs visited by Leaf and other EV users in our state. This is my first time starting a petition at change.org; please let me know if you have any problems with the link.

Link: https://www.change.org/p/california-energy-commission-install-a-network-of-dc-fast-chargers-to-enable-long-distance-ev-travel-in-california-this-year

Petition to: California Energy Commission
Subject: Install a network of DC fast chargers to enable long-distance EV travel in California this year

Increased adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) are important for meeting California's goals of reducing carbon emissions. Some of the largest barriers to adoption are range anxiety and the inability to drive EVs long distances in our state without long stops for charging.

Deploying a network of DC fast charging (DCFC) stations along long-distance transportation corridors will enable long-distance EV travel in California, a new mode of EV travel. Establishing this network will benefit current EV users as well as draw many more people to EVs since this would reduce range anxiety as well as demonstrate that long-distance travel is practical. This network is also needed to make EVs practical for residents of the Central Valley and rural areas who require frequent long-distance travel.

DCFC investments by the CEC would also be leveraged by the existing and well-used West Coast Electric Highway that has been established by our progressive neighbor states Oregon and Washington. Extending the West Coast Electric highway to California would enable EV travel from San Diego (and Baja California) to British Columbia, making EV adoption even more attractive in our state.

It is important for this long-distance DCFC network to be deployed ASAP, with significant capability in place by the end of the 2015 calendar year. There are currently over 120,000 EVs in California, so there would be a large user base for this network right away. GM, Nissan, and other auto vendors have committed to producing more models of extended (150-200+ mi) range vehicles by the end of 2016, so the long-distance DCFC user base would grow rapidly.

The CEC currently invests on the order of $20M per year on EV infrastructure, but it has funded only 9 DCFC stations to date at an average cost of only $15,000 each (per the Jan. 2015 report, CEC‐600‐2014‐009‐SD‐REV). An initial network of several dozen DCFC stations could be deployed for about 10% of the CEC's annual EV infrastructure expenditures.

We urge the CEC to implement a network of DCFCs along transportation corridors to enable long-distance EV travel in our state. This project is well-suited for the CEC to lead because it is a statewide effort that goes beyond the interests of any single region. Please show some vision and leadership by implementing a long-distance EV DCFC network in
California this year.

smkettner said:
56 now signed including myself.
Did you post a link on the My Nissan LEAF forum?

I did not, just on local EV groups I tend to visit.
Good idea, go ahead!

Thanks to everybody who has signed so far - we are off to a great start!

Please do post this on the My Nissan Leaf Forum; I'm not a member there (AFAIK). Getting it to the Leaf community is really important - we need to tap into the multitude of Leaf drivers in CA, and they will certainly appreciate the appeal of a DCFC network.

Please also circulate this far and wide among your friends, family, work peers, social networks, neighborhood sites, etc. We will have to collect a LOT of signatures to make any sort of impression with the CEC. I'd like to deliver the petition and signatures to them personally in Sacramento if we get 1000 signatures!

Signed and sent to our workplace EV mailing list - this is the only other community I take part in. Thanks a lot guys for starting this, I really hope we can make impact.

Thank you for starting this petition.

Just signed and will be asking friends to sign them as well.

Thanks to everybody to has signed the petition - we now have over 250 signatures!

That said, we still have a long way to go if we are going to hit 1000.
Please continue to sign the petition and share the link with family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, EV groups etc. via email, facebook, Nextdoor, and your other networks.

I have also completed a first draft on the current status and near-term plans for long distance DCFC networks in California:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6_jAu2M0SmUZTRlYnNkZUdOakE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks to everybody who has signed and circulated the petition so far.
Does anybody else want more DC fast chargers in California?

The petition now has 285 signatures, with few or zero signings over the past several days. We really should get this to at least 500 to make an impact with the California Energy Commission. Please sign today (link in 1st post) and circulate the petition to EVERYBODY you know who might be interested - Facebook, Nextdoor, LinkedIn etc - if you haven't already !

greenbert said:
My friend Ethan just posted this article on his website about California's lack of progress on EV infrastructure. The post cites Tony's proposal made at the California Energy Commission's January 2015 EV infrastructure workshop. Thank you Tony for your advocacy on EV infrastructure and your engineering talents that will allow RAV4EV drivers to take advantage of it.

http://www.ethanelkind.com/solving-californias-inadequate-electric-vehicle-charging-infrastructure/

Hi Greenbert, thanks a lot for sharing the article. Just wondering if Ethan is aware of this petition? Also could you ask for his support by signing this himself as well as spreading the words about this petition through his channels so we can get more signature? Thanks a lot. :D

tgreene said:
Thanks to everybody who has signed and circulated the petition so far.
Does anybody else want more DC fast chargers in California?

The petition now has 285 signatures, with few or zero signings over the past several days. We really should get this to at least 500 to make an impact with the California Energy Commission. Please sign today (link in 1st post) and circulate the petition to EVERYBODY you know who might be interested - Facebook, Nextdoor, LinkedIn etc - if you haven't already !

I just like to share that more than half of the signatures I got are from friends who do not currently own an Electric Vehicle. These friends initially are skeptical when they first saw us taken ownership of our Rav4EV 5 months ago. They are all much more supportive of our decision of EV ownership now that they witnessed our joy of owning it over the past many months and are seriously considering to purchase an EV as their next vehicle. They are also interested to see a more complete EV charging infrastructure since it'll eliminate the biggest concern of range anxiety if they are to purchase EV as their next vehicle.

Please also ask your friends who do not own EV today to support this petition, I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised with many more signatures. :)

Interest in long-distance EV travel in California is increasing but we need to keep up the pressure on the state to ensure action.

The press (greencarreports.com) has recently discussed that California needs to do its part to complete the West Coast Electric Highway, and we have followed that up here. We have also discussed the locations of planned CA DCFCs in this forum (thanks to Tony W and others). Another encouraging sign is that the California Energy Commission (CEC) reached out to EV activists and the Electric Auto Society responded with recommendations (led by GH in Sacramento).

Please sign the petition to the CEC to increase its investment of existing funds (no new taxes!) in DCFCs to enable long-distance travel in California:
https://www.change.org/p/california-energy-commission-install-a-network-of-dc-fast-chargers-to-enable-long-distance-ev-travel-in-california-this-year

There are now 318 signatures and we need to hit at least 500. I'd like to wrap this up and deliver it to the CEC in about 2 weeks so that it can have some impact on the next EV infrastructure solicitation which they are now preparing. Please pass on the link to neighbors, friends, colleagues and anybody else who may be interested - whether they currently drive EVs or not.

Back