Roof rack?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgingHippie

I really need to add a roof rack. I can see that the mount points for side rails are there, under some plastic covers, and there are recessed channels along the side of the roof, one covered with black plastic trim and the other not (probably removed by original owner or dealer).

I understand all RAV4 EV's are actually 2012 models, even though mine is a 2014. Toyota no longer makes or sells the 2006-2012 roof rack side rails or cross bars. Can I put a roof rack on this thing? Do I need 2006-2012 side rails and cross bars, or 2013-2018 side rails and cross bars? Can anyone recommend a third party manufacturer, or a source for the discontinued Toyota parts?

Thanks for the help.

I got an aftermarket set off of eBay. They worked just fine.

I think these might be the ones:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-2006-2012-Toyota-RAV4-Roof-Rack-Side-Rails-Carrier-Luggage-Black-OE-Style/263585755215?hash=item3d5eef704f:g:0e0AAOSwz09arxwI

20% is overblown.
I don't know how much my batteries are degraded now after 60k miles, but I drove 140+ miles more than one occasion with roof rack, hitch and running board ...
I lose about 20% to 30% when towing 1000 pounds behind me .....

Get them, you will not lose any range ..

Update: got the roof rack from ebay that's supposed to fit a 2012 RAV4. When I took the blockers off and removed the bolts on the roof, there were small plastic liners in the bolt holes that wouldn't come out - they're very brittle because of their age.

In the process of trying to remove one of the liners, the stepladder went out from under me and I did a faceplant in the driveway and chipped a tooth. So now I'm looking in my local area for an installer, and a dentist.

:x

AgingHippie said:
Update: got the roof rack from ebay that's supposed to fit a 2012 RAV4. When I took the blockers off and removed the bolts on the roof, there were small plastic liners in the bolt holes that wouldn't come out - they're very brittle because of their age.

In the process of trying to remove one of the liners, the stepladder went out from under me and I did a faceplant in the driveway and chipped a tooth. So now I'm looking in my local area for an installer, and a dentist.

:x
ugh that sucks. Im sorry to hear that!

So I tried installing the rails tonight. The Rola rails install fine, however the original capping plates no longer fit due to the larger mounting bracket. I think I will have to 3D print four new caps to fit.

Update: got a body shop to do the install, because they have the tools to get those brittle little plastic pieces out. The result is serviceable, but not very attractive or very aerodynamic. Got a dentist appointment Wednesday, probably going to cost more than the rails plus the install cost.

I just called a toyota-only wrecking yard in Sacramento. Got a factory roof rack from a ICE Rav4 Sport. Plug-and-play. Looks great. Then I went to REI when they had a decent sale and got Yakima JetStream bars and TimberLine towers. $100 at the wrecking yard (including next-day freight shipping to the Bay Area) and $300 @ REI, and now I can carry sheet goods home from the hardware store! Totally worth it. :D

A local 2012 for sale at a Nissan dealer has a roof rack setup.

2012_RAV4_EV_Roof_Rack_01b.jpg
2012_RAV4_EV_Roof_Rack_02b.jpg
2012_RAV4_EV_Roof_Rack_03b.jpg
2012_RAV4_EV_Roof_Rack_04b.jpg

Second update: the rails seem to be holding on, although everyone was right, they're not high quality or very attractive. No detectable effect on range with just the rails, which was what I expected - if I put the crossbars on, or the kayak, I see some big range loss.

asavage said:
A local 2012 for sale at a Nissan dealer has a roof rack setup.

Yep, that's the after market rails I have. Crossbars are different, mine stick out past the rails and have locks. The RAV handled a 65 pound fishing kayak with a slight loss in range (used about 1.5 miles per mile traveled with the boat on it).

Back