Coolant issue? - all getting heated up on how/what to do

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferenc

5 days ago, while driving some 35mph through a large park, >5 miles from town, with no cell reception, my vehicle shut off, with lots of dash things on, including the message:
"Check EV System - Have Your Vehicle Checked by a Dealership Immediately" or some such.
This morning the dealer called me to say the 350A fuse was blown and they eventually found a coolant leak into the drive motor.
My Toyota extended warranty I bought a couple of years ago is valid into 2022, but now the dealer, Toyota, Tesla, and the Factory (?) warranty company are haggling - I'm going to be without a car for another few weeks.
Unfortunately, my spare car is in the shop getting repainted, and it is not clear who is going to cover what for the repair.
Any suggestions?
Should I speak with an atty.???

I had the entire HV battery assy. replaced under the Toyota Platinum extended warranty @ ~80k, though I had to have it shipped to Calif. Toyota reimbursed me the shipping cost to get it there (because I had the ext. warr.) but it was on me to get it home.

My DU was replaced at 59k in 2017, so not under the extended warranty.

I wouldn't think there'd be any issue, and I'm kind of surprised anyone if giving you grief about it.

In 2022, after our extended warranties expire, it's going to be a whole 'nuther ballgame, though :(

The coolant leak in the drive unit is becoming more common. The inverter is likely toast, so you will get a new drive unit. The rest should be easy to fix, but it will take time. The Toyota Platinum Warranty only covers a rental for 7 days per repair if I recall correctly. The rest will be on you. If your warranty is not the Toyota Platinum one, I would expect a huge fight from the warranty company because this is an unusual payout. I would not expect any hassle from the Toyota Platinum warranty department. The problem will be getting parts in a timely fashion for the repair.

My 8/100k new car Platinum warranty expired and I have an offer to renew for another 5years/60k miles for $2,600. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I should.

miimura said:
My 8/100k new car Platinum warranty expired and I have an offer to renew for another 5years/60k miles for $2,600.

That's encouraging. As I've had the DC-DC, heater assy., and battery assy. replaced under the extended warranty, the opportunity for another five years coverage for that amount would be enticing for me.

I still don't see a replacement EV on my horizon for our situation; all the current offerings are smaller than the RAV4 EV.

friday morning update - the powers that be approved the repair and parts are 'on order!'
rental car would be nice ...
ferenc

My 8yr/100K Toyota platinum warranty ends net year too. Is the warranty extension through Toyota offered automatically or do we need to search / ask for it? Also. is the 5yr/ 60K $2600 extended warranty the only option offered?

Thanks

james said:
My 8yr/100K Toyota platinum warranty ends net year too. Is the warranty extension through Toyota offered automatically or do we need to search / ask for it? Also. is the 5yr/ 60K $2600 extended warranty the only option offered?

Thanks
You have to ask a dealer finance person for a new quote. They can add whatever markup they want. My price for my 2012 was substantially higher than for a 2013. Another owner bought a 5/60k policy for his 2013 in Feb 2021 for $2,000. In my case 3yr/36k was still over $2,000 so I might as well go for the full term available so that I could pass it on to the next owner if I sell the car as planned in about 3 years.

Hey, guys, I might be coming into this late. We've still got our 2012 (purchased Memorial Day 2013). When the 8/100 extended expired on Memorial Day this year, I think we thought "well, we'll drive it into the ground and see what happens." It's doing fine for now, but this is the first I've seen or heard of an extension. Is this something we still might be able to renew even though the 8/100 has expired? I guess I should have looked at the forums a few months ago.

It's been a long time since I've posted, we're still doing fine with around 10% battery degradation, just a bit of milling noise on the second motor, and the heater still works, so it's still a totally functional car for us that we're having a hard time giving up.

asavage said:
The rental car allowance in the Platinum ext. warranty was so little that I couldn't even rent a hybrid, much less an EV. I decided to use our "spare" vehicle instead.

Well, my spare vehicle has been in the shop since February 1 (this year), and they appear to be throwing darts onto a calendar when providing updates on when I'd be getting my car back, repaired.

I had CSAA tow my Rav4 to the local dealer that awful JULY 23 hot afternoon, and as of yesterday (2nd promised date) now have a yet another (random?) part delivery date as OCTOBER 8.

I've contacted a lawyer about a rental until my Rav4 is back, and wonder if I should look to Tesla for the part?
Ferenc
PS Wonder if they are waiting for my Platinum Warranty to expire in February?

The language in my Platinum Warranty was very clear that it only provided $50/day for 5 days per repair. If you need a rental vehicle and you haven't yet collected your $250, you should try to arrange a low cost rental on your own and inquire how to get them to reimburse you.

miimura said:
The language in my Platinum Warranty was very clear that it only provided $50/day for 5 days per repair. If you need a rental vehicle and you haven't yet collected your $250, you should try to arrange a low cost rental on your own and inquire how to get them to reimburse you.
It is clear, but, given the fact that they had no idea when the part would arrive (it was over 2 months), they needed to make the necessary accomodations to their customers.
I'm wondering if I should buy an additional warranty once this one runs out:

The Total was $8,329.18 - got my car back today!
I must say that Scott Lenz, the Toyota Walnut Creen service rep did a fantastic job in communicating with me, and did all he could to help. Kudos to him.
Ferenc

miimura said:
My 8/100k new car Platinum warranty expired and I have an offer to renew for another 5years/60k miles for $2,600. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I should.
I'm just off the phone with Toyota of Kirkland (Wash.). My 2014 RAV4 is now at ~103k, and my current Sep2017 Platinum VSA expires at 110k/Sep2022. When I inquired today, I was offered a maximum of 4 yr/48k VSA for $2,780 (+ inspection, + 10% tax), which I'll purchase around the middle of August. I was hoping for another 5y VSA.

They offered a 3-year plan too, at $2,500.

Back