Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: RavCharge, a solution to charge timer and entune woes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:30 am 

eplantz wrote:
please make sure you allow for a mechanism to tie a payment to the Entunes ID. My Paypal ID is NOT the same as my Entunes ID.
Will do. You can send a payment now and just include a note with your entune ID, and I'll handle it manually. I'm working on a method to automate the process from within the app, so if you prefer you can wait for that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:19 am 

Again great web app! I'll sign up for the year at that price and then see how it goes from there.

One issue and one suggestion... my climate tab has been showing climate on for the last day or two. Obviously it hasn't been on continuously. It would also be nice to have some indication that your server received the climate on request. I've had a couple of occasions when I requested to turn the climate control on (and then put my phone to sleep) and not had it come on. If possible I was thinking the "start climate now" button would change to "connecting" when pressed and "starting" once your server receives and acknowledges the command.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:20 am 

Since it appears that Toyota may have finally fixed the 31st bug, I think the biggest value-add that you can provide with RavCharge is a Departure Timer that really works and is based on user entered Volt and Amp values. The RAV charges very predictably and I haven't a clue how Toyota botched the departure scheduling so badly. If you can see in the status data whether the car is set for Standard or Extended Charge, it should be very straight forward to calculate the proper starting time for a charging session to complete when desired.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Moderator

Joe, I really appreciate what you're doing for everyone here, and hope not to appear ungrateful, but I thought you were going to set up a "one time" fee? $39 per year for something that TOYOTA should have implemented properly in the first place, almost seems like we have to pay a "penalty" just to keep our cars reliably charged. Perhaps with substantially more bells and whistles, like ECO Dashboard integration, Ravcharge could well be worth it at this price. However, in comparison to most other comparable mobile car apps, most of which are free, it seems a bit over priced for use on an annual basis.

It's too bad you could not have first conducted a "poll" here to get a consensus upon which to decide on a "fair" price. I realize you are fighting a losing battle with so few potential subscribers based on such a limited production EV, which unfortunately can't help but to raise the net cost per user.

Would you be open to us paying a higher, but heavily discounted, "one time" fee for lifetime use of Ravcharger?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:33 am 

yblaser wrote:
Again great web app! I'll sign up for the year at that price and then see how it goes from there.

One issue and one suggestion... my climate tab has been showing climate on for the last day or two. Obviously it hasn't been on continuously. It would also be nice to have some indication that your server received the climate on request. I've had a couple of occasions when I requested to turn the climate control on (and then put my phone to sleep) and not had it come on. If possible I was thinking the "start climate now" button would change to "connecting" when pressed and "starting" once your server receives and acknowledges the command.
That's weird about the climate on thing. I checked it out and your car was stuck in a weird state where it looks like it finished a pre-climate but never updated its status. I sent it a stop climate command and now it's cleared up. As far as the notifications, the button does indicate when the server receives the command, and if you keep RavCharge open you'll get a popup indicating when the climate actually starts (this may take a few minutes though). If that doesn't work you probably need to make sure you're using a javascript-enabled browser. I plan to give you the option to receive a notification email letting you know when a command succeeds or fails so you don't have to stick around in the app to find out.

You don't need to wait around for a notification from the app though - you'll be fine sending the command then putting your phone away. If you try to turn climate on and it doesn't happen, then that just means the command didn't succeed. Unfortunately Entune's climate control system seems to be a bit fickle (thankfully the start charge command is much more reliable). RavCharge helps tremendously with this by resending the CC start command 4-5 times if it doesn't take, but sometimes the car just won't do it, even after repeated attempts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:39 am 

miimura wrote:
Since it appears that Toyota may have finally fixed the 31st bug, I think the biggest value-add that you can provide with RavCharge is a Departure Timer that really works and is based on user entered Volt and Amp values. The RAV charges very predictably and I haven't a clue how Toyota botched the departure scheduling so badly. If you can see in the status data whether the car is set for Standard or Extended Charge, it should be very straight forward to calculate the proper starting time for a charging session to complete when desired.
Such a departure timer has been on the to-do list since day one. That's great news if Toyota has finally fixed the 31st bug, but that was really just one small thing out of a ton of problems RavCharge solves already. When you think about it, the 31st bug is really the least significant of the onboard timer's shortcomings, because at least it was a known issue that could be planned around. Unpredictable charge start times and seemingly randomly skipped charges (sometimes after charging on 120v, sometimes still unexplained) remain.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 am 

Dsinned wrote:
Would you be open to us paying a higher, but heavily discounted, "one time" fee for lifetime use of Ravcharger?
No, I think I've explained before why I don't like this idea, but to reiterate: A one time fee works great for hardware, or for a self-contained app that I can just hand over to you, but RavCharge is a service that runs on servers I maintain, and so requires recurring expenses (and a big ongoing time commitment on my part) to maintain. I want to reserve the right to shut the whole thing down if my expenses get too high, or if not enough people are interested, etc. If I sell you lifetime use then I've committed myself to a lifetime of indentured servitude for perhaps nothing more than a few hundred bucks!

If you think $39/yr is too much for a service that gives you something that Toyota should've already given you, then why do you not think twice about spending $1000+ for an EVSE that you basically have to buy? Toyota really should've given us an EVSE with our cars that's actually usable, like Tesla and some other EV makers do.

Last edited by fooljoe on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:56 am 

fooljoe wrote:
As far as the notifications, the button does indicate when the server receives the command, and if you keep RavCharge open you'll get a popup indicating when the climate actually starts (this may take a few minutes though).

Thanks. I may be missing something but I guess I don't understand how the button indicates whether the server received the command or not. I can load the page, turn my internet off, press the climate start button, and it still says starting. I understand I get the pop up when the climate actually starts after a couple of minutes, but I'm looking for indication that my phone actually sent the command successfully to the RavCharge server. BTW, I am using chrome on android.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:11 am 

yblaser wrote:
Thanks. I may be missing something but I guess I don't understand how the button indicates whether the server received the command or not. I can load the page, turn my internet off, press the climate start button, and it still says starting. I understand I get the pop up when the climate actually starts after a couple of minutes, but I'm looking for indication that my phone actually sent the command successfully to the RavCharge server. BTW, I am using chrome on android.
Ok, I see what you mean. You're right that the javascript will change the button to 'starting' even if you no longer have an internet connection, but I think it's generally safe to assume that if you continue to have an internet connection the command will get through to the RavCharge servers very fast. I'll look into adding a 'command sent'-style message though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:39 am 

fooljoe wrote:
Ok, I see what you mean. You're right that the javascript will change the button to 'starting' even if you no longer have an internet connection, but I think it's generally safe to assume that if you continue to have an internet connection the command will get through to the RavCharge servers very fast.

Thanks! My cellular internet connection is often very spotty in the building I work in. It also seems to freeze and take a while to re-establish even if the phone is reporting it has a cellular data connection, hence knowing that the RavCharge server received the request is helpful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 35  Next