Anyone else lose Entunes functionality?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hey Friends!

This week, my Toyota SafetyConnect subscription expired (because I forgot to update my credit card on file). When I called in to renew, most of the functionality disappeared from the Entunes App. When I say "most", I mean everything I cared for (charge management, remote climate, vehicle finder) had disappeared.

I called Toyota (800-331-4331) to learn that, according to them, these features have been discontinued. I find that hard to believe and would love to know if any of you have experienced the same. This may well accelerate my moving on to the next EV...

The Entune Charge Management and Charge Stations apps are still working for me. Perhaps they're not turning these apps on for "new" subscriptions because the sunset date is neigh?

I'm afraid this is one of those cases where I lost functionality because, after I failed to update my credit card on file in time, the subscription lapsed and, upon renewal, those functions were no longer even showing as available packages (according to the CSR). Oh, well... No if only the Q4 would finally get here!

Question Regarding Charge management:

While I don't have all the specifics, I am aware that many of the functions of the Entunes are going away with the demise of 3G.

My question is about the charge management, which no longer seems to be available. What I want to be able to do is to charge our Rav4EV between midnight and 6:00am to get the lowest rates here in San Diego county. I have a Leviton EVR40 wall charger. IS there any sort of timers that I could use with a high voltage charger like this?

I realize that the newer chargers will likely have a built in timer, but I don't want to scrap my current charger just for this. Any thoughts or suggestions?

califteacher said:
Question Regarding Charge management:

While I don't have all the specifics, I am aware that many of the functions of the Entunes are going away with the demise of 3G.

My question is about the charge management, which no longer seems to be available. What I want to be able to do is to charge our Rav4EV between midnight and 6:00am to get the lowest rates here in San Diego county. I have a Leviton EVR40 wall charger. IS there any sort of timers that I could use with a high voltage charger like this?

I realize that the newer chargers will likely have a built in timer, but I don't want to scrap my current charger just for this. Any thoughts or suggestions?
You can always use the timers built into the car. That is unaffected by the 3G shutdown. The timers accessible on the head unit inside the car are based on departure time and they are very conservative - ie. they tend to start earlier than necessary and finish earlier than programmed.

The disadvantage I found with using the car's timer is that I could not have both pre-climate at an exact time and have charging finish within two hours of departure.

I got around that by using the timer in the EV-SE instead. OpenEVSE Advanced 48A is $600 these days, 4-week lead time for the assembled version.

Though I own three of these, I don't know that I recommend this unit anymore, they still don't have the ability to perform firmware updates to the controller via OTA, only by disassembling -- removing the front cover -- and using a separate AVRISP programming tool, which is pretty techy for a consumer device (the Wi-Fi module, ESP32, does allow OTA firmware updates since v3, but still no controller firmware updates). But you do have firmware updates available, which I consider better than "you bought it, there it is, live with it". And, still no https :(

On my oldest unit, I've updated the controller's firmware twice since I bought it in 2017. I took good notes, it helps, unless you program Atmel microprocessors routinely; sadly, I do not.

Back