Motor Remanufacturing source

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Hi Folks, My 2013 started having the milling/bearing noise at 84,000 miles, on what is presumably the original motor, as I cannot find any entry of the motor being replaced in the Toyota service history.

The dealer confirmed the seal failure causing bearing failure.

Silver Rock, the Extended Warranty supplier to Carvana is going to cover the replacement. My cost: $50.

They are going to provide the motor, and they told me it is a remanufactured motor that originally had 46,000miles on it. they could not tell me where it comes from.

Does anyone know of it comes from Tesla, a Tesla authorized remanufacturing company, or Tony's shop?

The new motor itself will have a 12mo, 12,000 mile warranty, typical with an ICE motor.

I'm pretty happy with the coverage and support from Riverview Toyota. they also are going to do some body work related to the flaking paint notice I received. Overall, this repair will be about 2 weeks, with another week in the body shop. Definitely better than 3-4 months that I had read about.

They are also going to check my battery as I am regularly only seeing 65 miles on a full charge, but then I drive pretty fast on the freeway and all my miles are freeway...

UPDATE

Looks like they cannot source a refurbished motor.
SilverRock has authorized a Brand NEW motor.

I'm quite impressed.

If they don't want the core, I may either sell the core or rebuild it myself for a spare. Dealer already told me if there is no core return, They will let me have it.
:D :D :D

I've read repeatedly that there are no brand-new drive units, that only remans are available from Toyota via Tesla. That Toyota doesn't have any drive units, they source them from Tesla, and Tesla doesn't supply new, only reman.

I'd be keen to know if that isn't the case.

I speculate "new" just means from the manufacturer (Tesla-Toyota) vs a rebuilder like Jasper.

Not to worry... the reports on the latest rebuilds from Tesla are very good.

My thoughts as well, we'll see when the car comes back from the body shop. I had some flaking paint and they sent me a letter about it, so they are fixing a little problem with that.

If you want to sell the original motor, we may be interested. You would have to ship it to us for a tear down inspection first. Was it still running when removed?

We have supplied motors for aftermarket warranty repairs. There are zero new motors available, since 2014. They are all remanufactured by Tesla, or rebuilt by us.

Our shop is shut down, since mid March 2020, as a “non-essential” business in response to the COVID-19. We should reopen on May 15, 2020..

Back