RavCharge, a solution to charge timer and entune woes

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fooljoe said:
miimura said:
BTW, what does RavCharge do when it's time for a timer event and the car is not plugged in? Does it know that and skip the event? I'm just wondering about the extraneous Entune e-mails mentioned above.
I addressed that question here. Unlike the car's built-in timer, the information that RavCharge has about whether the car is plugged in is only as good as the last update. I could set RavCharge to do a status update some time before a scheduled charge, but then there'd be some risk of the car getting plugged in between the status update and the timer event, or the status update not completing and a charge being skipped because of incorrect information about plug status.

Since my #1 goal is 100% activation of scheduled charges, for now RavCharge just goes ahead and sends the command (and sends it a lot), regardless of what information it has about the car being plugged in or not. So you probably would get a number of nuisance emails from Entune if you didn't plug in and had a timer set. If you want to avoid this you could just go to RavCharge on your phone and turn the timer off for the day. Changing the timer settings via RavCharge is much less painful than having to go out to your car and deal with its terrible interface.

Now that I think about this last part, maybe a cool feature would be a "skip the next charge" button that turns the timer off for a night but then automatically turns it back on so you don't have to remember to...

EDIT: Now that I think about this some more, maybe the risk isn't really that high, and it'd be nice to avoid hammering Entune with charge start requests when people are intentionally unplugged (not to mention avoiding all those "charge failure" emails). I'm working on implementing a "Plug check" option for the charge timers now.

If you choose this option, RavCharge will do a status update immediately before sending a charge start command. If the update fails, it'll go ahead and try to start charging anyway. If the update succeeds, it'll only send the charge start command if it has confirmed that you're plugged in and not already charging. Due to the time required for a status update to go through, charges will probably start a few minutes after the time you specify if you select this option. I'll test it on my car tonight and probably make it live tomorrow.
The other thing you could do is send your own e-mail that says the RavCharge event was skipped because the car was unplugged.

So if you haven't already noticed, I have implemented a new "Plug check" option for charge timers that lets you specify whether you want to do a status update to confirm that the car is plugged in and not already charging before sending the command to start a charge. If you often leave your car unplugged but have a RavCharge timer set and want to avoid getting lots of nuisance emails from entune then you should use this option. In fact down the road I might just make this the default behavior.

While I was at it, I also modified the status update feature so that it automatically updates the info on the page without requiring the additional refresh step.

miimura said:
The other thing you could do is send your own e-mail that says the RavCharge event was skipped because the car was unplugged.
Yeah, I like this idea, and you'll see that adding email or SMS notifications is on my original "to-do" list from the first post. I just want to give people the option to receive notifications or not (and in what form), so I plan on building a new "settings" area to handle this, and also for other options like inputting your estimated battery degradation.

I checked my emails this morning after RavCharge was set to do a scheduled charge last night at midnight with my car unplugged, and I received no nuissance emails like was happening before. Success!

Joe, I concur with "miimura", sending an email when RavCharge "skips" a scheduled charge to notify you the car was not plugged in, is yet another good suggestion to further enhance your outstanding web app.

fooljoe said:
mhkp said:
Well, I thought of that and moved my departure time from 6 am to 7 am. I often charge to Extended but it never takes more than 4 hours or so with my Leviton. I'll set my departure to 8am and see what happens.
I confirmed in the RavCharge server logs that mhkp's early charge was not commanded by RavCharge. Dsinned's comment is spot-on: With a low starting SOC and/or extended charge set (and possibly a <40 amp EVSE, if applicable), it's not at all unexpected that the car's weird timer would start the charge before midnight.

This sort of thing is precisely the reason for RavCharge in the first place, not something caused by it!

I moved my departure time to 9 am and RavCharge started charging at 1:01 am (timer set for 1am) SOC charge was very low (VLB) and set to extended charge.

Last night my RavCharge scheduled charge at 12:01am was right on time (actual start two minutes later), and I received two successful "charge start" email notifications one minute apart accordingly.

I am watching my home energy monitoring system right now to verify a 27 minute long topping charge is about to start right around 08:30am, which should be completed at 08:57am. My vehicles' departure time is still set for 08:50am.

. . . Okay, the topping charge started as expected just now at 08:31am. The Voltage/Current reading at my Leviton charging station is 238Vac and 3.0A (i.e. 714 Watts total output). The amber "Charging" LED is flashing on the front panel of the charging station, but the dual amber LEDs above the charge port connector on the car are both off. I can clearly hear a "buzzing noise" coming from the car, which is normal during ANY charging operation.

. . . Okay, just now (08:57am) the topping charge completed as expected. The buzzing has stopped and no more blinking amber LED at the Leviton charging station, and AC current now reads zero.

. . . Then, I unplugged (08:58am), at which point I received one final and totally bogus email notifications saying I just had a "Charge interruption". Of course, this last email was through no fault of RavCharge.

After completion of all charging, both a normal bulk last night after midnight, and belated topping off just now before 9am, the GoM in my car now indicates "100" miles. My running average on the center console still indicates "3.2" mi/kWh. This was the average after the past week of driving the car.

Perhaps Tony's suggestion in the previous post is quite valid. Now my car is fully prepared for my wife's next very short drive later this afternoon and more of the same all next week.

This has been my least troublesome overnight charge to date!

Thank you FoolJoe!!!

TonyWilliams said:
I just did a 100% extended charge and the app shows 35kWh, instead of 41.8kWh.
Yeah, we discussed this a few pages back in the thread. The problem is the SOC information I get from entune goes from 0-100, where 100 represents a full normal charge. The only thing that varies when you're in the range between an extended charge and normal charge is the GOM range, and I'm not excited about the idea of trying to make any sense of that.

I do know whether the car is in extended mode or not, but that applies to the next charge, it doesn't say anything about whether the previous charge was extended. I suppose I could implement some sort of continuous monitoring of each user's car and maintain a record of whether the last charge was extended or not, and so on, but that would be pretty involved. I wouldn't rule it out, but it's not something that I could just throw in quickly. So for now just take the "35kwh" displayed as 35+ if you're in extended mode.
TonyWilliams said:
Also, can we change the 80% charge to 41.8kWh * 80% ? (33.44kWh)
You mentioned this before too, but I don't know where this assumption comes from. I've been logging some data for my car for a few days and the 35kwh figure seems to be pretty accurate. For example, a couple days ago I drove 64.7 miles with the dash showing 3.9m/kwh, for an indicated consumption of 16.6kwh. The SOC at the end of the day was 53%, which would indicate a 100% charge of 35.3kwh. Of course there are rounding errors, and the accuracy of the entune SOC data and the dash efficiency data are all up for debate, so lots of further study is needed here.

So for now I'll just stick with the published 35kwh number, but I'll be giving you the option to enter a degradation factor that you can adjust to arrive at whatever assumption you want to map to a "100%" normal charge. I suggest everyone log similar data as I've been collecting so you can determine what your degradation factor would be. Also I'm really curious what the "0%" of the entune SOC scale really corresponds to, as I don't make a habit of driving down into that territory, so if anybody gets down there please report back!

Joe, if you were to implement another "slider bar" to adjust the degradation factor as a variable, similar to what you did already for inputting the average miles driven per kWh, I think this would work quite well in RavCharger. 100% can be the default which would apply to all cars still fairly new, or with minimal mileage. To resolve any apparent inaccuracies in the range calculation, each user of RavCharger can change the battery capacity setting to whatever they see fit.

Using the results from RavCharger after doing a normal charge, I did a simple calculation on my own car. I applied a multiplier, representing the "degradation factor", to full normal (useable) battery capacity, assuming 33.44kWh when new. I mulitiplied by 0.96, representing -4% of lost useable battery capacity. This seems rather high, but it improved RavCharger's prediction of my estimated range to be in closer agreement with the GoM based on the running average miles/kWh readings in the car.

I would like to believe the total degradation of my battery will not exceed -20% in five years, or -40% in ten years, but I really have no idea.

My car is currently almost 11 months old, always parked outdoors, recharged ~50 times, with only ~4200 miles on the odo. I think my GoM calibration is overly conservative, by about 0.2mi/kWh. Either that, or my battery degradation is even more than expected at this point in time. Hopefully this does not necessarily mean I will lose nearly as much useable capacity over all the years I own the car. I think a total degradation loss of 20% in ten years (which in my case, may correspond to total miles driven of maybe 50,000).

Furthermore, I doubt that battery degradation has a linear relationship to either miles driven or the service life of the car. I'm sure the actual rate of degradation overall, is far more complicated to determine and each battery is uniquely different.

To be sure, there are many other factors that determine battery degradation; temperature, humidity, no. of discharge - recharging cycles, "rates" of discharge - charging current, total time in operation including storage, etc. Most modern Pb-acid 12VDC car batteries have a useful life of well under 10 years, but are subject to radical swings in temperature, especially while in storage, which can be very detrimental to life expectancy. Li-ion cells may have considerably longer life, with active thermal management, and that are never allowed to fully discharge or recharge completely during their lifetime.

Another member here ("Kohler") is doing an experiment to help determine a typical RAV4 EV's Li-ion cell's degradation in terms of discharge/recharging cycles. I believe he is trying to simulate 100,000 miles of operation in the car. After he has completed testing, perhaps you could apply whatever results he obtains as a "fixed" amount of degradation per mileage on the car, and even simpler approach in RavCharge. So far, in Kohler's simulation testing, I think he has observed a rate of degradation to be actually quite low.

Again, a "slider bar" with min/max limits within reason (?? to 100%), is probably the best and all you can do.

fooljoe said:
TonyWilliams said:
Also, can we change the 80% charge to 41.8kWh * 80% ? (33.44kWh)
You mentioned this before too, but I don't know where this assumption comes from...

So for now I'll just stick with the published 35kwh number, but I'll be giving you the option to enter a degradation factor that you can adjust to arrive at whatever assumption you want to map to a "100%" normal charge.

It's from driving from 80% charge to Turtle, observing the miles traveled divided by economy, and getting about 33.x kWh.

The same rounding error issues apply, so I'll stipulate that it could be between 33.44 and 35 for an 80% charge. Plus, it didn't drive to shutdown which would add some tiny amount more energy (but very unlikely 1.56kWh usable).

Anyhoo, if I still own my car next week, we need to get active in cracking the codes on this car. This is nutty fighting it.

Dsinned said:
This seems rather high, but it improved RavCharger's prediction of my estimated range to be in closer agreement with the GoM based on the running average miles/kWh readings in the car.
If you want to estimate your own degradation/full charge usable kwh, I would completely ignore the GOM number. Just reset your trip meter and efficiency meter after a normal charge, then note the average efficiency (e), miles driven (m), and RavCharge SOC% (c) before you charge again. Then m/e/(1-c) should give you what your usable kwh at 100% SOC is. There is the additional rub that the 0% displayed by RavCharge probably corresponds to some level of charge that's not really 0, which would complicate the calculation a bit. It could be shutdown, or it could be turtle, or it could be "Lo", or whatever. I haven't tested it, but if anyone has please chime in!

Of course there's lots of potential for error/variation with this calculation, so the more times you can repeat this process, the better. Take the average over as many such logs as you care to do, and you'll have a decent idea of what your number is. But again, don't put any stock in the GOM - it's a complete mystery how it's calculated. I've seen my GOM after a full charge drop about 20 miles from one day to the next, even when the day before I drove well above my long-term average miles/kwh. :roll:

Dsinned said:
Furthermore, I doubt that battery degradation has a linear relationship to either miles driven or the service life of the car. I'm sure the actual rate of degradation overall, is far more complicated to determine and each battery is uniquely different.
Yup, I'm not even going to try to touch that. There no way to see what your odometer or charge cycles are from entune data anyway.

Dsinned said:
Again, a "slider bar" with min/max limits within reason (?? to 100%), is probably the best and all you can do.
Yeah, that's the plan. I'll probably just go with a slider to enter the 100% usable kwh number directly (~20-35 I guess) rather than a percentage. I just took the weekend off from coding, but I'll get to it. ;)

TonyWilliams said:
Anyhoo, if I still own my car next week, we need to get active in cracking the codes on this car. This is nutty fighting it.
There's a ton of guesswork here, which is why I haven't prioritized development of the whole range estimator part of RavCharge, even though it does seem to engender the most discussion. I think it is nice that seeing the raw entune data allows RavCharge to display an actual %SOC rather than just the 16 bars the car gives or the pretty but useless picture of a battery that the entune app gives, but we definitely need lots of testing to figure out what exactly these numbers map to as far as usable kwh.

My #1 goal with RavCharge is getting a reliable charging timer working. I guess it's a good thing that there's not as much discussion about that - it just works. :D

fooljoe said:
I think it is nice that seeing the raw entune data allows RavCharge to display an actual %SOC rather than just the 16 bars the car gives or the pretty but useless picture of a battery that the entune app gives, but we definitely need lots of testing to figure out what exactly these numbers map to as far as usable kwh.
Yeah, the funny thing is that the Entune iPhone app has 20 segments while the dash has 16! I think the app programmers got the 0-100 input data and rounded to 5% and displayed that without even knowing what the dash display was.

miimura said:
Yeah, the funny thing is that the Entune iPhone app has 20 segments while the dash has 16! I think the app programmers got the 0-100 input data and rounded to 5% and displayed that without even knowing what the dash display was.
And they didn't even round properly, apparently. I'm sitting here with 84% SOC and the entune app shows a battery at the 80% tick instead of 85%. They just chose to be extra conservative and take the floor instead of rounding to the nearest 5% I guess.

Joe, yes, RavCharger does indeed work and works very well.

Last night, I did my third "test" of RavCharger. I had previously set Timer1 to initiate a schedule charge just after midnight, but with the car left unplugged. Entunes itself (in the car) was set for a delayed departure at 6:50am. I'm pleased to report, I have since not received any Entunes email notifications saying, "Failure to charge due to being unplugged".

This means the last modification to RavCharge I believe you made, i.e. "Plug Check", when enabled, will first do a check for plug-in status, and if not, SKIP the scheduled charge. I'm pleased to report that this new functionality is working fine. I received no emails of any kind whatsoever at any time all last night. However, I can tell from checking Entunes itself on my iPhone, that it was last updated at 12:22am last night. That must be when RavCharge attempted a final status check, while the car was still unplugged. Thus, no additional attempts to charge were sent after that, nor any emails.

As previously discussed, it probably still would be okay NOT to do "Plug Check" on final charge start attempt, 20 minutes after the initial attempts. This would then result in only ONE email notification of "Failure to charge due to unplugged", but none would result from earlier attempts with Plug Check still enabled.

There will be occasions when this Entunes email notification should be permitted by RavCharge, because there will times when a failure to charge due to the car being unplugged, was NOT intentional, just forgotten. In such cases, a reminder might be useful. However, the Entunes notification only needs to be sent once.

Dsinned said:
Joe, if you were to implement another "slider bar" to adjust the degradation factor as a variable, similar to what you did already for inputting the average miles driven per kWh, I think this would work quite well in RavCharger. 100% can be the default which would apply to all cars still fairly new, or with minimal mileage. To resolve any apparent inaccuracies in the range calculation, each user of RavCharger can change the battery capacity setting to whatever they see fit.

Using the results from RavCharger after doing a normal charge, I did a simple calculation on my own car. I applied a multiplier, representing the "degradation factor", to full normal (useable) battery capacity, assuming 33.44kWh when new. I mulitiplied by 0.96, representing -4% of lost useable battery capacity. This seems rather high, but it improved RavCharger's prediction of my estimated range to be in closer agreement with the GoM based on the running average miles/kWh readings in the car.

I would like to believe the total degradation of my battery will not exceed -20% in five years, or -40% in ten years, but I really have no idea.

My car is currently almost 11 months old, always parked outdoors, recharged ~50 times, with only ~4200 miles on the odo. I think my GoM calibration is overly conservative, by about 0.2mi/kWh. Either that, or my battery degradation is even more than expected at this point in time. Hopefully this does not necessarily mean I will lose nearly as much useable capacity over all the years I own the car. I think a total degradation loss of 20% in ten years (which in my case, may correspond to total miles driven of maybe 50,000).

Another member here ("Kohler") is doing an experiment to help determine a typical RAV4 EV's Li-ion cell's degradation in terms of discharge/recharging cycles. I believe he is trying to simulate 100,000 miles of operation in the car. After he has completed testing, perhaps you could apply whatever results he obtains as a "fixed" amount of degradation per mileage on the car, and even simpler approach in RavCharge. So far, in Kohler's simulation testing, I think he has observed a rate of degradation to be actually quite low.

Yes, my tests have just passed the 45k mile mark. After 100k miles I'll share the report and graphs with everyone. For summary though, I see the capacity around ~93%, with the amount lost decreasing with miles (i.e. 3% loss first 10k miles, then 2% next 10k, then 1% next 10k, then <1% next 10k and so on. Differences due to depth of discharge and Extended vs Std charge seem to be very minor.
Just a reminder, my tests do not take calendar life into consideration or temperature excursions.

Greetings everybody,

I've just implemented the long-awaited battery degradation slider, which you can find in a new 'Settings' area accessible by navigating to the 'Menu' button in the upper left. Choose however many kwh you think your battery holds after a full normal charge, and the approximate kwh and range estimating tools will be updated accordingly. Read a couple posts up for a method to determine what your value should be.

Also in the new settings area you'll find a field to enter a contact email address. By default this will be the same as your entune login email, but if you wish to change it to something else you can do that here. I'll use this address if I ever need to contact you regarding your account, and if/when I implement RavCharge notifications at some point in the future.

Also with this update I decided to make the "plug check" feature the default behavior for everybody. Looking through the logs, it's quite common for people to have timers trying to charge when they're unplugged, fully charged, or both. The plug check feature, which a few "early adopters" have been using with no problems for the past few days, will eliminate numerous unnecessary charge commands being sent to entune, and will also spare you a ton of entune spam. Because this feature performs a status update before sending the charge command, charges will typically start 1-2 minutes later than the time you specify. Read all about it a few posts up, and contact me if you have a compelling reason to want to go back to the old behavior.

Thanks for using RavCharge!

Cool! Thank you! With both sliders available now, I think my range prediction can be "tweeked" to more closely match my GoM. I think the latter (as calibrated by Toyota/Tesla) reads too low vs. actual, but I'd rather it be overly conservative, so that I don't ever accidently run out of juice at low battery levels.

Please take the following with a grain of salt, as I could be quilty of nitpicking:

1. When I adjusted the new slider under Menu>Settings, is the new value for battery capacity saved automatically, or should I press "Refresh", "Update" or "Save email" (even thou my default email address is already correct)?

2. Can you add a "Home" selection to the picklist on the new "Menu"? I noticed you can go back to the Home screen anytime by simply pressing "Unplugged" at the bottom of any screen, so perhaps that button should be relabeled "Home", and a new field should be put on the home screen somewhere that contains the plug status. Also, on the iPhone, an "i" superimposed on a round button usually means it is to be pressed for "Information" (or a Help screen). This is not the case in RavCharge, but perhaps such a button should exist with online help information/instructions for new users to the app.

3. Now, RavCharge's range estimator is directly proportional to both slider settings for average miles/kWh AND batt cap, which is good. However, I think desireable to have both sliders on the same screen, so that the influence either one (or both) have on range, can be readily seen on the same display screen.

4. Is there a way to make the Goggle Map zoom out/in, or use the iPhone's touch screen two finger enlarge/contract gestures? Even when turning the phone sideways, the map does not change in overall size.

5. Could you move "Menu" and "Refresh" to the bottom of the home screen, so all available commands (5 now) stay fixed and do not scroll off the screen?

Joe, I hope these comments are helpful, and please keep up the good work! Thanks again!

Dsinned said:
1. When I adjusted the new slider under Menu>Settings, is the new value for battery capacity saved automatically, or should I press "Refresh", or do I have to select "Save email" even thou my (default) email address is already correct?
It's saved automatically.
Dsinned said:
2. Can you add a "Home" selection to the picklist on the new "Menu"? I noticed you can go back to the Home screen anytime by simply pressing "Unplugged" at the bottom of any screen, so perhaps that button should be relabeled "Home"?
You can exit the settings area and go directly to the area of your choice by pressing any of the 3 buttons at the bottom. I'll consider adding a link to the default area from the menu.
Dsinned said:
Also, on the iPhone, an "i" superimposed on a round button usually means it is for "Information" (or a Help screen).
That was the idea. The 'i' button maps to the area where you get information about how much charge/range you have, you can update that information, and you can see where your car is. But that said, I know the choice of icons isn't ideal - I went with a framework that only provided a few icons to choose from. At some point maybe my wife will make us some custom icons that are a bit more meaningful.
Dsinned said:
3. Should RavCharge's range estimator value be directly proportional to both slider settings for average miles/kWh AND batt cap? Adjustments to the batt cap do not appear to effect the range value.
Adjusting the capacity should automatically update both the approximate charge and the estimated range when you go to the information screen. Maybe you just didn't change your capacity value enough to make a perceptible difference - try sliding it all the way down to 20 and you should notice it. Or perhaps just wait a second or two after changing it to allow the app to save the value. On an iPhone you can tell that the app is still saving if there's a little spinny thing in between the "4G" and the time at the top of your screen. Just about every browser out there should give some indication that it's communicating/waiting for data from the server.
Dsinned said:
4. Is there a way to make the Goggle Map zoom out/in, or use the iPhone's touch screen two finger enlarge/contract gestures? Even when turning the phone sideways, the map does not change in overall size.
I plan to look into this. The Google Maps API offers all kinds of neat things, but I just stuck in a static image as that part of the app is way down on my list of priorities. Perhaps what I'll do in the near term is at least make the map clickable so you can press it to take you to the google maps webpage or your maps app and actually do things with the location information.
Dsinned said:
5. Could you move "Menu" and "Refresh" to the bottom of the home screen, so all available commands (5) stay fixed and do not scroll off the screen?
I'm not sure about moving them to the bottom, as cramming all 5 commands down there would probably be too busy. There's probably a way to make sure the header bar stays fixed at the top of your screen - that might be a better solution.

Dsinned said:
3. Now, RavCharge's range estimator is directly proportional to both slider settings for average miles/kWh AND batt cap, which is good. However, I think desireable to have both sliders on the same screen, so that the influence either one (or both) have on range, can be readily seen on the same display screen.
Joe, I realized the range estimator does indeed save automatically, so I rephrased this comment as shown above, which you were unaware of when you responded. I think this is still something you might want to consider in the next update to the app. TIA.

Dsinned said:
I did and will continue to consider this, but my thinking is that the battery capacity slider is better suited for a "tucked away" area like the settings page. This is something that you should set once and only rarely change as your capacity gradually tapers off (or perhaps vary seasonally), while your expected efficiency will vary from drive to drive. Plus the information screen is already the most cluttered area of the app, so I'm not excited about the idea of adding more to it. But thanks for all the suggestions!

While we're making suggestions, what's everybody's opinion about what RavCharge should cost? As I mentioned from the outset, so far everyone's been on a free 14-day trial, after which there will be an annual fee for the service. I like the idea of an annual fee rather than a fixed amount because the costs to run the app are recurring, including servers/hosting, domain name registration, SSL certificate authorities, and of course keeping me motivated to continue with development and customer service. Plus it's the nature of the app that Toyota could elect to change their system and shut us down at any time, so I don't want to give the impression that you can just "buy the app" and expect it to work indefinitely. And I'm not excited about the idea of looking for "alternative" sources of revenue like advertising.

Consider also that there's very limited upside to this app - as we all know there will only ever be 2600 Rav4-EVs out there, and I'd probably be lucky to convert 1/20th of that number into paying users. Right now we're at about 50 users out of the ~1000 Ravs already out there, and it remains to be seen how many of you guys will choose to pay for the service after your trials are up. So if it's going to be worth my time to keep this running the fee's going to have to be a decent amount.

I'd like to think RavCharge provides an essential feature (namely the start timer, but lots of other cool features as well) that our $50k cars are otherwise lacking, and the chances of Toyota ever adding it themselves are slim to none. With the Rav4-EV out for almost a year, they haven't even bothered to fix the most glaring and simple bug of all, that the charge timer doesn't work on 31st days. That one cost me at least $5 in electricity and hours of my time on 8/31, as I was all set to head out for a Labor Day weekend trip and woke up with an empty battery.

Anyway, I've stated my case, so please let me know what your honest assessment of a fair price is, and I'll be working on a system to implement payments. In the meantime, I expect some of my earliest adopters whose 14 days are just about up will be getting a few days' "grace period", but no promises!

I would send you $30-$50 by Paypal for a year of service. No e-commerce site necessary. You could just set up a special e-mail and Paypal account to receive the money and have people put their Entune e-mail in the payment note so you can connect it with the right account.

PS. I agree that the capacity slider should be on the settings page, not the main status page.

Back