ALL POSTS - GOM - Range Meter - Distance To Empty meter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
714autonut said:
I am a new owner of a 2014 Rav 4 EV that just came off of lease from So. Coast Toyota. Still have the 120vac charge cord waiting for the new Leviton's to come off production. My first charges at 120vac gave 80 miles on regular and 100 miles on extended. Immediately following my 30k service checks those ranges went significantly up to 100 and 115 miles respectively still at 120vac. Does anyone know if there has been a software update recently of if I may be cooking my batteries since the service visit? I am also wondering if I really should always shoot for charging at the highest 40A rate or give the batteries a slower charge once in a while to prolong their useful life? Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Charging with 40 amps is nowhere near any limit that would hurt the batteries.
Not even the JDemo Chademo charging ut to 45 kW (over 4 times as much) comes close as long as the batteries are temperature wise managed (which they are )

I found this article about the efficiency of the built-in charger of a 2015 nissan leaf:
link to pdf:
https://avt.inl.gov/pdf/fsev/SteadyStateLoadCharacterization2015Leaf.pdf

That basically shows the onboard charger of the Nissan Leaf is most efficient with the highest possible charging rate.
Would be interesting to know if the same is the case for any Tesla charger

The dealer likely disconnected the 12 V battery at some point, which caused the increase readout on your GOM.

There is en entire thread on the GOM:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=825

You can reset the RAV4 EV's GOM everyday, if you like:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20518#p20518

1) MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OFF !!!

2) Disconnect all 3 of the 12 volt battery negative cables, and leave it that way overnight. This will require removal of the M8 wing nut for JdeMO equipped vehicles, or a 12mm socket to remove the M8 hex nut. The cabin climate control will automatically go to OFF with battery disconnect.

***** Next day: ******

3) Reconnect 12 volt battery

4) Hold foot on brake and press START button with key fob nearby just once

5) Energy "fuel" gauge will show Full (16 illuminated segments) and "LO" on the GOM - this is what will indicate a reset GOM

6) Wait for navigation unit to complete its start up (about 20 seconds)

7) Press START with brake pedal depressed a second time. You will hear a clunk of the main battery contactors under the front passenger seat and the dash should indicate "READY". The cabin climate control must be off. If it was not off, there is some issue prior to this step.

What is lost and needs to be reset with a 12 volt disconnect:

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20859#p20859

1) Cabin climate control is Off. Make appropriate settings.

2) Stored radio / SiriusXM stations will remain, however your last station listened to will likely be gone

3) Cell phone pairings are not 100%. You may have to delete your phone (and the RAV4 from your phone) and re-pair them

4) Map display mode

5) Volume of navigation voice notifications

6) Random play modes

7) Charge schedule will be retained, but it won't work without hitting the "SAVE" button on the previous screen. Check the programmed settings first, then go back to the previous page to press Save. It won't save the data any other way.

8) State selection from Destination address page

Your range is temporarily reduced in Winter due to the cold. Reduction was reset during service.
Your range numbers will drop again depending on your driving and use of the climate control.
First heat wave to 90+ will give you back the range you expect.

Several months ago the dealer replaced the onboard charger and the GOM hasn't been the same since. Previously when the dealer replaced the motor the GOM slowly returned to normal after a week or so of driving. But after the onboard charger replacement the difference in the GOM reading with A/C on vs A/C off is much greater. I suspect they loaded a new version of the software that has a different calculation for the GOM.

GOM has been at 103 to 110 lately on normal charge.
Suddenly it is up to 130 :roll:

Or did the BMS just shift the rest of the extended range into normal?

No that part seems to be working. Makes me want to check the voltage though.
Toyota battery is only a year old.

Today the extended range charge said 147 miles :)
Not sure that is real....

48,000 on the odometer and the battery suddenly is back to new.

smkettner said:

HOw do you have a battery that's only a year old, in 2017? Did you get it replaced?

BTW I had the same thing happen this week with my GOM (going from around100 to suddenly 130 on regular charge) - but that was after a loss of 12 V power of which I'm still unsure what the cause was (maybe a light was left on or something?) DOing the Tony Test right now (disconnected battery after extended charge) we'll see what it says in the morning ;)

Christopher Castagne said:
smkettner said:

HOw do you have a battery that's only a year old, in 2017? Did you get it replaced?

BTW I had the same thing happen this week with my GOM (going from around100 to suddenly 130 on regular charge) - but that was after a loss of 12 V power of which I'm still unsure what the cause was (maybe a light was left on or something?) DOing the Tony Test right now (disconnected battery after extended charge) we'll see what it says in the morning ;)

Oh silly me! You meant THE 12V BATTERY didnt you?! :oops: (How much was that btw? and how long are these supposed to last? i'm not sure whether I may need to replace mine soon)

Christopher Castagne said:
smkettner said:

NO magic beans - only 134 on extended charge. Think this is the same thing I got last time anyways. Not bad at almost 60k miles now

If your 12 volt battery is over 3 years old, and it's the original crappy Toyota battery, REPLACE IT NOW before you have problems.

Rav4 EV 12 volt Battery recommendations:

https://m.pepboys.com/search/?term=bosch+24f+60ah+agm

I recommend the Bosch or Exide battery with the following specs for around $150-$180:

1) AGM (not flooded acid cells like the original)

2) Group 24F size

3) 60 amp/hour rating

Here are the specific models I recommend:

Bosch S6508B S6 Flat Plate AGM

There is also a Exide battery that is identical, except for superficial color and markings, but normally more expensive.

Exide Edge FP-AGM24F Flat Plate AGM Sealed Automotive Battery

I have noticed that if I stick to my 22 mile round trip commute the GOM seems to sag over time.
Then I go on a 110 mile drive and the range pops back up. Whatever.

Anyone ever see Turtle with 5 miles showing on the DTE?
I did last night cruising home at 62 mph on the freeway. Was able to take my exit (1/2 mile) but not climb the hill to my home.
Coasted to the local shopping center and was able to plug in. Main power was off for a 1/4 mile as I rolled in.

Previously if the DTE said 5 miles I had a least 5 miles and probably 7 or 8.
Is this temperature related? Been cool lately but not cold.
Or is the battery just getting old?
Something else?

Yes, I've had TURTLE with miles showing (and one fuel bar), and my car was relatively new at the time. The first time I got towed for no power, and the conditions were snow, cold, up a very steep hill.

I think there is at least one who had two fuel bars showing with TURTLE!!!

When is the last time you did a full "extended" charge and let the pack sit for about 8 hours?

Never. Although most Fridays get full charge and a 2 hour wait before I head home.
Every couple weekends the same thing to charge overnight and it sits for a few hours as the timer is always early.

This thing has me figured out already... (about a week)

78 miles on a full charge is what the GOM tells me in the morning before work (not extended charge). It is in the 30-40's at night.
I drive 18 miles each way to work, 15 of it on the freeway at between 75 and 85. (Hard to drive this thing slow)
So that is 30 miles at battery sucking speed, and then 6 in stop and go in "B"
Lunch trip is about 8 miles round trip in "B".
Total is 44, and when I get home, I'm still in the 40-ish mile range left.

Today I ran a bunch of errands after work. Total of about 52 miles. All the extra in regular traffic.
The GOM still showed 29 miles left when I got home. 3:20 to recharge on 40A.

I guess I regen'd about 3-4 miles.

I used the HOV lane while on the freeway at rush hour. The trips took me half the time as normal.

If this car drops dead in 5 years, I won't be out much if anything.

So for half the price of a new Leaf, I have a bigger car with the same basic range. Nice.

Back