ALL POSTS - GOM - Range Meter - Distance To Empty meter

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Extended charged today, GOM said 97 miles, drove 110 miles with the GOM reading 35 miles, when I got home. Ignore the GOM.

nukeandjuke said:
regular range goes between 102 to 107. mostly 107. So extended range of 122 is shocking to me.
There's nominally 6.8 kWh between a normal and extended charge (this will gradually shrink over time as your capacity degrades). If your GOM read 102 after a regular (35 kWh) charge, that implies the 'G' in GOM is 2.9 miles/kWh, so the 6.8 kWh "extra" will net you 19.8 miles, which brings you to 122 miles on an extended. Everything seems good to me.
pchilds said:
Extended charged today, GOM said 97 miles, drove 110 miles with the GOM reading 35 miles, when I got home. Ignore the GOM.
Exactly. Just conservatively assume you've got 40 kWh after an extended charge, and watch your efficiency like a hawk to make sure you get where you need to go. If you need to drive 100 miles, maintain 2.5 miles/kWh; if you need 120, maintain 3.0, etc. If you're not driving far, just ignore it.

the last time that they disconnected my 12 volt battery to do a motor swap and firmware upgrade the climate took 19 mile off my range .
make sure you climate is not turned on.
Eventually after 10 to 15 charges it went down to only 2 to 3 miles difference when the climate was on.

My rav4 ev goes from 109 miles to 77 miles when I turn the fan on (no ac). That seems a little bit much. Really? Just for running the fan? Temp is set to LO too. What's up? That's like 30 miles lost isn't or more?

cashcow said:
My rav4 ev goes from 109 miles to 77 miles when I turn the fan on (no ac). That seems a little bit much. Really? Just for running the fan? Temp is set to LO too. What's up? That's like 30 miles lost isn't or more?

It is just an indicator.
Just start driving and it will readjust itself.
Fan only will not be that much of a reduction.
But you have to learn how to read the indicator ;-)

Also with temp set to LO the AC will come on automatically. If you are in normal mode vs eco lo/hi it will show a big difference when fully charged.

cashcow said:

That's not "30 miles lost". It's a goofball meter that is indicating 30 miles less.

There's a reason why there is one, and only one thread for GOM related questions.

dstjohn99 said:
Also with temp set to LO the AC will come on automatically. If you are in normal mode vs eco lo/hi it will show a big difference when fully charged.

The GOM is driving me nuts. They other day it marked something like 81 miles @ 100% battery charge (Did set it to charge to 100%). If it is just guessing away then I don't really mind. The other thing that is driving me nuts is the A/C.

So at LO the A/C unit comes on still? I thought if the A/C button was set to 'off' and the temp want set to LO it would prevent both the A/C condenser from coming on and the heater from heating up the cabin. I was running it before with A/C off but with the temp set to like 80 and the rav4 ev was cooking me up at night and early morning. I wasn't sure what was going on since with my leaf A/C off meant... everything off!

So at LO = A/C condenser comes on still? I'm so confused. I just want the normal fan to be on. Not the A/C or the Heater :cry:

TonyWilliams said:
If you have the air conditioner turned off, why do you think it's on?
He said that because of "dstjohn99"'s reply above that LO would turn on the A/C automatically, which is not correct. I also will often keep the temp set to LO and A/C off to keep both cooling and heating off.

My experience was that I had the AC off with the fan on, temp at 75 or something, but it felt like it was blowing warm air. When I turned the temp to LO the AC came on and I had to turn it off to just have the fan blowing. So I'm only suggesting that if you turn to temp to lo with the fan on, maybe the AC came on and will show a much lower range.

Other than that I notice that the more efficient I drive (or when the car is "reset" - disconnect / reconnect 12V battery), using the AC shows a significant drop in range. Usually it never affects my range anywhere near the prediction - my driving style takes care of reduced range. Then next time I charge and show a lower overall range at full charge, the reduction when the AC is turned on is very small.

After all, it is a guess o meter. I'm happy that I'm seemingly always guaranteed to make the predicted range, and usually exceed it. That's much better than thinking I have 40 miles range for a 38 mile trip, only to find that I only made it 35 miles.

Thanks guys. I have it set to LO + A/C Off so it does sound like everything is off. I was sure that the A/C was off at the time so the number was with out A/C. Funny thing is that next time I charged my rav and ran it I was seeing 105 miles at 100% and 66 miles with Fan on... which is actually a worse number :(. That is almost 40 miles. I hope it doesn't get any lower because then it just starts to be quite confusing. I will report again if it does though.... I think if it starts to get to something ridiculous like 40 miles or less I will make a video to show the difference.

cashcow said:
... That is almost 40 miles. I hope it doesn't get any lower because then it just starts to be quite confusing. I will report again if it does though.... I think if it starts to get to something ridiculous like 40 miles or less I will make a video to show the difference.

Please don't waste your time making a video of the GOM. All of us who own this car are well aware of the ridiculousness of the GOM, which is why it has its own dedicated thread. We put all GOM posts in this thread.

Regardless of what that meter says, the car will still go the distance as indicated on the range chart, with corrections made for elevation, wind, heater use, etc.

100% Capacity (brand new - no degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1mybenqwoajun8/Rav4rangeChartV100.2.pdf?dl=0

90% Capacity (10% degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bcv212xxsfd2vr/Rav4rangeChartV90.2.pdf?dl=0

80% Capacity (20% degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddfjojy6d29q8zf/Rav4rangeChartV80.2.pdf?dl=0

70% Capacity (30% degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20y8b9xhdyps3ht/Rav4rangeChartV70.2.pdf?dl=0

Rav4rangeChartV100_1.jpg

Thanks Tony I was just wondering if other people were having as ridiculous showings as the ones I am getting. At 80% I see 36 mile range on my GOM with the ran on normal and A/C and Heater off. I mean... 36 miles at 80%? I am not sure what to think when the GOM will say something like 20 miles or less at 80% much less at 100%! How low can this thing go? Sub 10s @ 80 or 100%?

cashcow said:
Thanks Tony I was just wondering if other people were having as ridiculous showings as the ones I am getting. At 80% I see 36 mile range on my GOM with the ran on normal and A/C and Heater off. I mean... 36 miles at 80%? I am not sure what to think when the GOM will say something like 20 miles or less at 80% much less at 100%! How low can this thing go? Sub 10s @ 80 or 100%?

There are 18 pages of comments about the GOM. I don't waste any mental gymnastics on figuring out the programming. I don't know what the lowest reading is, but I've definitely had 40 miles, and 207 miles.

If you want to reset the GOM:

1) Turn the car OFF

2) SET the parking brake

3) UNPLUG the car from all charging stations (either J1772 and/or CHAdeMO)

4) DISCONNECT the negative leads (all three) from the 12 volt battery. Make sure the leads don't accidentally reconnect to the battery by securing them in some method away from the battery, and/or place a towel or other material over the negative post on the battery.

5) Let the car SIT OVERNIGHT. I highly recommend doing this after charging the car on an extended charge (100%), so that you can get a sense of battery degradation, too. The battery needs to be at 70F or better.

... after 4-6 hours...

6) In the morning, RECONNECT the negative lead. Sit in the drivers seat and you should see a LO indication with a full battery indication (all 16 fuel bars are illuminated).

7) Press the START button with your foot on the brake pedal. WAIT for the center navigation screen to spin up (about 20-30 seconds)

8) Press "CONTINUE" on the center navigation screen

9) Press the START button with your foot on the brake pedal a second time. You should hear the main traction battery contactors close, and the dash should say "READY" above the speedometer.

Your GOM is reset and you're ready to drive. The GOM will, of course, get crazy again in no time. The GOM will still do crazy stuff with the heater or air conditioning on.

The ACTUAL usable battery amount is simply the GOM mileage directly after a reset divided by 3.5. If you saw 140 miles on the GOM, then:

140 miles / 3.5 = 40kWh usable (error rate is plus 1% / minus 5% or so)

41.8kWh is your "full charge" when new, and assuming you started with a full charge, divide whatever was displayed on the reset GOM into 146. That's your degradation:

140 / 146 = 95.89% battery capacity compared to a new condition battery

Tony-

Did you post anywhere how you did the math for the range charts?

My son just bought a Volt and I thought it would be fun to put together a comparable chart for it. He is also taking high school physics and this would be a great topic for them to discuss!

Thanks
Mike

mikegerard said:
Tony-

Did you post anywhere how you did the math for the range charts?

My son just bought a Volt and I thought it would be fun to put together a comparable chart for it. He is also taking high school physics and this would be a great topic for them to discuss!

Thanks
Mike

It's empirical data. Go out and test, collect data, make the chart.

He will learn a lot while doing it.

cashcow said:

Are all 16 bars lit up on the state of charge indicator next to the GOM after you complete a standard charge? I'd wager that your battery is fine if they are, but you may have some real issues if some are not.

Hello,

I looked but could not find any subjects on the following issue. If there is another thread, please let me know and I will move.

Currently if I charge to 100%, (not extended range), my range is 88miles. About 2-3 months ago, that number was over 98miles.

I took my rav4EV to local dealer (Mossy Toyota, San Diego) for a 30k maintenance and check of the batteries. The dealer told me the batteries were fine but I should drive until depletion and then charge to 100%. This would "fix" my range indicator.

Any thoughts about this?

Is there another way to reset the range? I hesitate to do the "tony test" since it is currently cold (40-70F) here in San Diego.

Marc

Back