Best generator to charge Rav EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish people would stop talking about generators for use on an EV and buy the appropriate vehicle to suite their needs.

4EVEREV said:
I wish people would stop talking about generators for use on an EV and buy the appropriate vehicle to suite their needs.

Hahah easier said than done. I'd want a Tesla model S but for a Rav 4ev price, not happening.

My second choice would be a dual j1772 for my Rav, that's not hep owning anytime soon either.

We deal with what we are given then modify them as we see fit just like car guys have been doing since the 60's.

davewill said:
Do keep in mind that using the generator to charge an EV will result in bad emissions and fuel economy compared to a normal ICE vehicle. Those small engines don't have to meet the emissions and fuel consumption requirements that a car does.
All Honda EU inverter series are 50 state CARB and US Forest service compliant...

Plus the new 3000/6500 and 7xxx whatever series are all fuel injected now for 2015 and ULEE.

Probably more efficient then a car... lol

jimbo69ny said:
4EVEREV said:

Hahah easier said than done. I'd want a Tesla model S but for a Rav 4ev price, not happening.

My second choice would be a dual j1772 for my Rav, that's not hep owning anytime soon either.

We deal with what we are given then modify them as we see fit just like car guys have been doing since the 60's.
I would still avoid a generator with a Tesla.

Dual J plugs? Now you want two generators? Ugg :(

Best generator IMO is your home solar, next is the utility power generator.

smkettner said:
jimbo69ny said:
4EVEREV said:

I would still avoid a generator with a Tesla.

Dual J plugs? Now you want two generators? Ugg :(

Best generator IMO is your home solar, next is the utility power generator.

Lol dual j1772's so you can charge at 2 charging stations at the same time.

JasonA said:
davewill said:
Do keep in mind that using the generator to charge an EV will result in bad emissions and fuel economy compared to a normal ICE vehicle. Those small engines don't have to meet the emissions and fuel consumption requirements that a car does.
All Honda EU inverter series are 50 state CARB and US Forest service compliant...

Plus the new 3000/6500 and 7xxx whatever series are all fuel injected now for 2015 and ULEE.

The only generator I would currently consider. Expensive, but worth it. But, I can buy a whole lot of Tesla 18650 cells for the price of a generator and all the associated hardware.

ChrisMtn said:
Keep an eye on Capstone Generators.
http://youtu.be/8rKsk6hEcNQ
http://youtu.be/vLTinWDhZNk

A range extender for a LEAF was done a long time ago with a capstone. Not only can it charge the LEAF stationary at 30kw but it can run it at freeway speeds.

4EVEREV said:
JasonA said:
jimbo69ny said:
Lol dual j1772's so you can charge at 2 charging stations at the same time.
I do that with my Leaf.. :roll:

No CHAdeMO..

Why do you need two?
Because I don't have CHAdeMO on my Leaf, and there's ALWAYS 2 j-plugs usually available at public L2 stations, so I designed and installed 2 liquid cooled Brusa chargers... and put another J1772 where the CHAdeMO would have been.

Done.

Ohh.. and your comment on...
But, I can buy a whole lot of Tesla 18650 cells for the price of a generator and all the associated hardware.

You show me what 18650's (TESLA cells) and WHAT associated hardware you can whip up for $1999 (cost of a EU3000i)

I'd like to see your parts and cost analysis breakdown...

Like a WHOLE LOT :roll:

P.S. I'm sitting here at Carson Toyota doing nothing for the next 3 hrs.... so I've got time to burn :lol:

My cost analysis is simple. To run the onboard 40 amp charger, I need TWO of the 7kW Hondas, at $4500 a pop (remember, 7kW is not the continuous duty cycle of the generator). That's $9000 before the trailer, mounting hardware, wiring, gasoline tank (maybe the original Toyota tank will fit?). Let's call it $10,000.

With that, I can put exactly 9.6kW * 85% = 8.16kW DC into the battery. The car consumes 65 / 3.4 = 19kW to travel 65mph on a good day (no headwind, no cold, no cabin heater, no standing rain or snow, level ground).

So, my $10,000 generator setup (plus CARB compliant) will likely double my range. That means that even if I have plenty of gasoline, there isn't enough kW to power the car much over 35-40mph when the battery goes dead... and it will go dead because I would be burning energy at more than twice the rate than I am adding kWh's.

BATTERY SOLUTION to double range:

Buy wrecked RAV4 or Model S. Put battery on trailer. Have a nice day.

The cost of Model S has been as low as $20k, and assuming the battery isn't damaged, there's enough cells to double the range of two Rav4 EV's.

If you can get the wrecked RAV4 EV for $10k, even easier.

I'm not suggesting batteries are cheaper (yet) than gasoline power. But it's not ridiculously more expensive.

The original thread (as was on the Leaf forum) started as a backup means to carry in case of needing to charge by being stranded or home charging aka. power outage.

I've been taking my EU3000i out to El Mirage dry lake for weekend trip and it just run all weekend with the ext. tank while charging the Rav and powering all the rest of our stuff. Pumping 20a/120 constant is no issue and is ready to go by the time the weekend is done.

I'm sure everyone has seen the pics I've posted in the other thread.. but as for in a prefect world, wrecked RavEV's are still getting a pretty penny..

In the end, when the grid goes down or emergency power is needed... a generator will have to be used to fill ANY battery back up.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1152&start=20
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4903

195fa6e8a71f4dab9962d6aeeafcb17a.jpg

JasonA said:
davewill said:

I hope you are being facetious, but if you are not or for other people reading the thread ARB emission standards for generators and automobiles are very very different.

JasonA said:
The original thread (as was on the Leaf forum) started as a backup means to carry in case of needing to charge by being stranded or home charging aka. power outage.

I've been taking my EU3000i out to El Mirage dry lake for weekend trip and it just run all weekend with the ext. tank while charging the Rav and powering all the rest of our stuff. Pumping 20a/120 constant is no issue and is ready to go by the time the weekend is done.

I'm sure everyone has seen the pics I've posted in the other thread.. but as for in a prefect world, wrecked RavEV's are still getting a pretty penny..

In the end, when the grid goes down or emergency power is needed... a generator will have to be used to fill ANY battery back up.

http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1152&start=20
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4903

195fa6e8a71f4dab9962d6aeeafcb17a.jpg

JasonA, do you use a modified 120V EVSE that can pass 20A to make the most out of the 3kW capability of the charger?

I only use openEVSE. And I've modified the firmware so I have amperage adj in 1a increments.

I've never used the stock toyota unit.

For carrying the generators

https://www.harborfreight.com/750-lbs-capacity-heavy-duty-folding-cargo-carrier-62660.html

not sure if they would fit this cargo carrier, but it is 750 pounds capable. A cargo carrier should be easier on your range than a small trailer. If you can fit it in the cargo carrier you could possibly driver longer. Better so, if the generators fit in the carrier you can then proceed to use wood to build a small frame around the carriers with the carrier as the base then skin it and make a boat tail of sorts. Should increase range.

I saw some used tesla model S for sale in car gurus for about 25k. Those old model s are starting to get really cheap.

Back