Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Reported Range Decrease
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:36 am 

Slow down and turn off the climate control. Similar temps here. I just drove mine today 90 miles using cruise set at 62. Range was showing 119 at the start (100%) and 44 at the end. 38k on the car.

Meter showed much worse a few days ago after driving back from San Clemente at 70+ blasting the heater.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:22 am 

It's almost definitely related to the cold weather. I'm surprised the Toyota dealership didn't mention that as the most likely cause for the lower indicated range. Running the cabin heater more often really saps the HV battery and after a few trips the range indicator starts taking your lower energy efficiency into account.

You'll see the range indicator return to normal when the weather warms back up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:36 am 

mhrossowyc wrote:
Hello,

I looked but could not find any subjects on the following issue. If there is another thread, please let me know and I will move.

Currently if I charge to 100%, (not extended range), my range is 88miles. About 2-3 months ago, that number was over 98miles.

Cold weather makes the seasonal decrease and increase in the "Guess-O-Meter" (GOM).

If you want to reset the GOM, follow this procedure:

viewtopic.php?p=20518#p20518

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

Post subject: Re: All Posts about the Distance To Empty "GOM" Range Meter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:15 pm 

In addition to the car being less efficient in the cold weather and occasional heater use sucking up range, I find using the wipers at full power uses a lot of power and taps the potential range.

I've found driving in the cold, with the heater, using the wipers and headlights can easily reduce my expected range by 30%.

2011 Leaf (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:50 am 

evdrive wrote:
I've found driving in the cold, with the heater, using the wipers and headlights can easily reduce my expected range by 30%.

I am about to leave on a 1,000 mile round trip from NorCal to SoCal and back again. Does anyone else have experience with driving in wet rainy weather and cold (low 40's) weather along with suggestions? I will be going down Highway 101 and there aren't a lot of charging choices in spots. I spend the night in Paso Robles, which helps with the longest stretch. 30% is a big hit on range. Obviously I will minimize using the heater if I can, but with two German Shepherds, I will likely have to use the defrost at least, even if on cool.

John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:22 am 

If you are overnighting in Paso Robles, then the only stretch you need to worry about is the 100 miles from Salinas.

If you want the heater on, I'd fully charge in Salinas and drive 55mph. When you get to King City, make an educated guess on whether you need to stop off for an hour on a j1772.

Make sure the odometer and consumption meters are zero'd out in Salinas. Hit the "Update" button, too, on the consumption page. Use the "map mode" split screen so you can watch that miles per kWh the whole time.

I always assume that these batteries have at least 10% degradation, so even with a full charge, you have about 37kWh to play with. The battery will be nice and warm after a charge.

Turn on the cabin heater to get everything warmed up while charging, even if you don't use much heat while driving.

The number you are looking for is 3.1 miles per kWh or higher:

37kWh * 3.1 = 115 miles of range, leaving 15 miles to spare. You should be able to get that even with the heater on at 55mph. If you don't have 3.1 or greater by King City, stop and charge.

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:30 am 

Thanks Tony!

John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:54 pm 

When I did this drive last summer, I drove 30mph on a few roads that parallel the highway for 10 miles to make sure I made it though the 100 mile quick charging dead zone.

2011 Leaf (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:38 pm 

I frequently make the trip between SLO and the SF Bay Area so I am familiar with that stretch. Last time I drove back home after X-mas it was in the low 40's/high 30's and I kept it around 50 mph to ensure I would make the gap. I stopped to charge at the Paso Inn in Paso Robles (got some dessert there) for about an hour on the way home to make sure I would make it over Cuesta Grade into SLO. The Clipper Creek HCS-60 EVSE there can supply up to 48 amps. I think I might have been able to make it home without stopping but it would have been very close so I didn't want to take a chance. I believe that my avg efficiency was about 3.2 miles/kWh but I don't recall for sure. I didn't get bothered by any law enforcement (Sheriff Deputies) while going 50 mph.

On a side note, there soon may be a resolution to the gap problem. The governor of CA has mandated that CALTRANS install EV charging stations at our facilities to help promote the use of the EV's. Two locations that are in design are the Camp Roberts rest stops on 101 NB and SB and the rest stop in Shandon on 46 East. The design currently calls for two L2 EVSE's and two L3 50 kW DC fast chargers. AFAIK, they will be free of charge. (This is due to a federal mandate placing restrictions on charging for services at federally funded rest stops.) I am pushing for larger L2 EVSE's (80A/19.2kW) to future proof the installs. I would push for larger L3 units (100kW) as well but there are no EV's except maybe the Kia Soul that can use them. There are other D5 locations as well (King City maintenance station and various Park and Rides), but the two above are on the fast track and may be in construction by later this year. Please note this info is UNOFFICIAL and subject to change as the projects evolve.

Last edited by swogee on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm 

swogee wrote:
On a side note, there soon may be a resolution to the gap problem. The governor of CA has mandated that CALTRANS install EV charging stations at our facilities to help promote the use of the EV's.

That is good news. I would suggest that they not be free to use, but be part of a paid network like EVgo. That will help to keep such an important and limited resource available for those who really need it. I know in earlier days of EV's, if I saw a free charger, I would use it even if I didn't really need it. Also if they won't go for a larger L3 unit, at least set up the infrastructure like conduit and wiring for larger units. It will not raise the cost that much but will make upgrading cheaper. Can't Tesla's charge at a higher rate (120kW)? With their current CHAdeMO adapter I believe it is limited to around 45 kW. Someone else like Tony probably knows better than I do.

Thanks for the update.

John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next