Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: All Posts about the Distance To Empty "GOM" Range Meter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:22 pm 

TonyWilliams wrote:
If you have the air conditioner turned off, why do you think it's on?

He said that because of "dstjohn99"'s reply above that LO would turn on the A/C automatically, which is not correct. I also will often keep the temp set to LO and A/C off to keep both cooling and heating off.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:23 pm 

My experience was that I had the AC off with the fan on, temp at 75 or something, but it felt like it was blowing warm air. When I turned the temp to LO the AC came on and I had to turn it off to just have the fan blowing. So I'm only suggesting that if you turn to temp to lo with the fan on, maybe the AC came on and will show a much lower range.

Other than that I notice that the more efficient I drive (or when the car is "reset" - disconnect / reconnect 12V battery), using the AC shows a significant drop in range. Usually it never affects my range anywhere near the prediction - my driving style takes care of reduced range. Then next time I charge and show a lower overall range at full charge, the reduction when the AC is turned on is very small.

After all, it is a guess o meter. I'm happy that I'm seemingly always guaranteed to make the predicted range, and usually exceed it. That's much better than thinking I have 40 miles range for a 38 mile trip, only to find that I only made it 35 miles.

8/12/14 RAV4 EV #3008, Blizzard Pearl
9kW Solar Electric System
SDGE TOU metering
OpenEVSE 40 amp

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:45 pm 

Thanks guys. I have it set to LO + A/C Off so it does sound like everything is off. I was sure that the A/C was off at the time so the number was with out A/C. Funny thing is that next time I charged my rav and ran it I was seeing 105 miles at 100% and 66 miles with Fan on... which is actually a worse number :(. That is almost 40 miles. I hope it doesn't get any lower because then it just starts to be quite confusing. I will report again if it does though.... I think if it starts to get to something ridiculous like 40 miles or less I will make a video to show the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 pm 

cashcow wrote:
... That is almost 40 miles. I hope it doesn't get any lower because then it just starts to be quite confusing. I will report again if it does though.... I think if it starts to get to something ridiculous like 40 miles or less I will make a video to show the difference.

Please don't waste your time making a video of the GOM. All of us who own this car are well aware of the ridiculousness of the GOM, which is why it has its own dedicated thread. We put all GOM posts in this thread.

Regardless of what that meter says, the car will still go the distance as indicated on the range chart, with corrections made for elevation, wind, heater use, etc.

100% Capacity (brand new - no degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1mybenqwoaju ... 2.pdf?dl=0

90% Capacity (10% degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bcv212xxsfd2 ... 2.pdf?dl=0

80% Capacity (20% degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ddfjojy6d29q8 ... 2.pdf?dl=0

70% Capacity (30% degradation)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20y8b9xhdyps3 ... 2.pdf?dl=0

San Marcos, California 92078 USA
tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
Twitter: QCPower
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office
Hours M-F, 9-5 Pacific Time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:06 pm 

Thanks Tony I was just wondering if other people were having as ridiculous showings as the ones I am getting. At 80% I see 36 mile range on my GOM with the ran on normal and A/C and Heater off. I mean... 36 miles at 80%? I am not sure what to think when the GOM will say something like 20 miles or less at 80% much less at 100%! How low can this thing go? Sub 10s @ 80 or 100%?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:59 pm 

cashcow wrote:
Thanks Tony I was just wondering if other people were having as ridiculous showings as the ones I am getting. At 80% I see 36 mile range on my GOM with the ran on normal and A/C and Heater off. I mean... 36 miles at 80%? I am not sure what to think when the GOM will say something like 20 miles or less at 80% much less at 100%! How low can this thing go? Sub 10s @ 80 or 100%?

There are 18 pages of comments about the GOM. I don't waste any mental gymnastics on figuring out the programming. I don't know what the lowest reading is, but I've definitely had 40 miles, and 207 miles.

If you want to reset the GOM:

1) Turn the car OFF

2) SET the parking brake

3) UNPLUG the car from all charging stations (either J1772 and/or CHAdeMO)

4) DISCONNECT the negative leads (all three) from the 12 volt battery. Make sure the leads don't accidentally reconnect to the battery by securing them in some method away from the battery, and/or place a towel or other material over the negative post on the battery.

5) Let the car SIT OVERNIGHT. I highly recommend doing this after charging the car on an extended charge (100%), so that you can get a sense of battery degradation, too. The battery needs to be at 70F or better.

... after 4-6 hours...

6) In the morning, RECONNECT the negative lead. Sit in the drivers seat and you should see a LO indication with a full battery indication (all 16 fuel bars are illuminated).

7) Press the START button with your foot on the brake pedal. WAIT for the center navigation screen to spin up (about 20-30 seconds)

8) Press "CONTINUE" on the center navigation screen

9) Press the START button with your foot on the brake pedal a second time. You should hear the main traction battery contactors close, and the dash should say "READY" above the speedometer.

Your GOM is reset and you're ready to drive. The GOM will, of course, get crazy again in no time. The GOM will still do crazy stuff with the heater or air conditioning on.

The ACTUAL usable battery amount is simply the GOM mileage directly after a reset divided by 3.5. If you saw 140 miles on the GOM, then:

140 miles / 3.5 = 40kWh usable (error rate is plus 1% / minus 5% or so)

41.8kWh is your "full charge" when new, and assuming you started with a full charge, divide whatever was displayed on the reset GOM into 146. That's your degradation:

140 / 146 = 95.89% battery capacity compared to a new condition battery

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:36 am 

Tony-

Did you post anywhere how you did the math for the range charts?

My son just bought a Volt and I thought it would be fun to put together a comparable chart for it. He is also taking high school physics and this would be a great topic for them to discuss!

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:24 pm 

mikegerard wrote:
Tony-

Did you post anywhere how you did the math for the range charts?

My son just bought a Volt and I thought it would be fun to put together a comparable chart for it. He is also taking high school physics and this would be a great topic for them to discuss!

Thanks
Mike

It's empirical data. Go out and test, collect data, make the chart.

He will learn a lot while doing it.

tony@QCcharge.com
www.QCcharge.com
1-844-EV-PARTS
1-844-387-2787
1-760-798-0342 Office

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:26 pm 

cashcow wrote:

Are all 16 bars lit up on the state of charge indicator next to the GOM after you complete a standard charge? I'd wager that your battery is fine if they are, but you may have some real issues if some are not.

3.2 kW Solar PV system

Post subject: Reported Range Decrease
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:37 am 

Hello,

I looked but could not find any subjects on the following issue. If there is another thread, please let me know and I will move.

Currently if I charge to 100%, (not extended range), my range is 88miles. About 2-3 months ago, that number was over 98miles.

I took my rav4EV to local dealer (Mossy Toyota, San Diego) for a 30k maintenance and check of the batteries. The dealer told me the batteries were fine but I should drive until depletion and then charge to 100%. This would "fix" my range indicator.

Any thoughts about this?

Is there another way to reset the range? I hesitate to do the "tony test" since it is currently cold (40-70F) here in San Diego.

Marc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next