Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: RavCharge, a solution to charge timer and entune woes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:53 am 

vips wrote:
Joe,
Thanks for the RaVcharge site and features.
Any reason why the first e-mail is a failure?
Then 2 success e-mail within 2-5 minutes.
The 20 minute fail safe charge command and e-mail, I understand.

-Vips
RavCharge sends a charge command at the time you specify, then checks periodically for up to two minutes to make sure charging starts. If after two minutes charging still hasn't started, that means the charge command failed, and Entune might send you an email to notify you about that. I'm not sure why some commands to Entune fail - perhaps due to spotty cell coverage where the car is parked.

But since they do fail sometimes, I've programmed RavCharge to keep trying if the first command was a failure. It will send another charge command a few seconds after the two minutes are up, and will repeat this cycle about 4 times (and then repeat the whole process 20 minutes after the time specified.) It sounds like in your case the 2nd attempt worked. I'm not sure why Entune sends two emails when starting the charge works - perhaps one is to indicate that the car received the command, and the second, usually a minute later, is to indicate charging has started.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:06 pm 

Thanks for creating RavCharge!

I've been using it for a few days. I set it for a 1am start charge time. However the car started charging at 10:50 pm or 11:30 pm. My car schedule was set to finish charging at 7am. Charging actually finished at 3am. I received an email at 10:50 pm/11:30 pm to tell me the initial charge started and i got a second charge start time email at 1:20am that charging started.

I will turn off the RavCharge timer and see if start times are again after midnight. Too costly to be charging in non-super peak.

I'll let you know any other issues I come across. Its a work in progress and I hope to help with feedback.

VIN#1708
Delivery: July 22, 2013
Mileage: 38,500+
EVSE: Leviton
Color: White
Town: Simi Valley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 pm 
Site Moderator

mhkp wrote:
I will turn off the RavCharge timer and see if start times are again after midnight. Too costly to be charging in non-super peak.

I'll let you know any other issues I come across. Its a work in progress and I hope to help with feedback.

Mhkp, probably what you really want to do is reschedule your departure time (in the car) to a few hours later like 9am, and reschedule RavCharge's timer to start a charge no later than midnight. This gives you a full 9 hours to start and end the overall (bulk + top off) charging process.

What may be causing your existing problem is that the extra time in the default charging process for cell balancing/topping off (i.e. only ~27 minutes for the latter), takes longer than a 7am departure time. This seemingly belated charging time to complete the overall process is at a much lower power level (~700W), so even if it occurs after 7am, it will not penalize you nearly as much. However, by moving back RavCharge's timer to midnight and deferring your departure time, I believe your charge will commence when you most want it (off-peak) and the "BULK" charge will still complete way before 7am. This, of course, assumes you are plugged in to an EVSE L2 (240V) charging station.

Joe, please feel free to jump in here if you wish to add anything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:43 pm 

Well, I thought of that and moved my departure time from 6 am to 7 am. I often charge to Extended but it never takes more than 4 hours or so with my Leviton. I'll set my departure to 8am and see what happens.

VIN#1708
Delivery: July 22, 2013
Mileage: 38,500+
EVSE: Leviton
Color: White
Town: Simi Valley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:12 am 

mhkp wrote:
Well, I thought of that and moved my departure time from 6 am to 7 am. I often charge to Extended but it never takes more than 4 hours or so with my Leviton. I'll set my departure to 8am and see what happens.
I confirmed in the RavCharge server logs that mhkp's early charge was not commanded by RavCharge. Dsinned's comment is spot-on: With a low starting SOC and/or extended charge set (and possibly a <40 amp EVSE, if applicable), it's not at all unexpected that the car's weird timer would start the charge before midnight.

This sort of thing is precisely the reason for RavCharge in the first place, not something caused by it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:32 am 

If you are willing to forego the car's timer as a backup, you could probably set a single charge timer for Sunday afternoon in the car and let RavCharge do the rest. Even if the Sunday car timer does result in charging, it will be sure to be Off Peak.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:08 am 

miimura wrote:
If you are willing to forego the car's timer as a backup, you could probably set a single charge timer for Sunday afternoon in the car and let RavCharge do the rest. Even if the Sunday car timer does result in charging, it will be sure to be Off Peak.
I decided to follow this idea. I set my car's timer for Sunday 5pm departure only. I set RavCharge to start at 1:10am every day. The car put up a warning that it's not set to charge every day. We'll see how it goes.

BTW, what does RavCharge do when it's time for a timer event and the car is not plugged in? Does it know that and skip the event? I'm just wondering about the extraneous Entune e-mails mentioned above.

2012 Shoreline Blue #1462 w/JdeMO | 2018 Tesla Model 3 LR | 4.32kW Motech/Enphase PV Solar + 2x Powerwall 2 AC| Leviton EVB40 40A & Jesla Home Charging | 2015 e-Golf LE (returned)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:38 am 

miimura wrote:
I decided to follow this idea. I set my car's timer for Sunday 5pm departure only. I set RavCharge to start at 1:10am every day. The car put up a warning that it's not set to charge every day. We'll see how it goes.
I'm flattered by your faith in RavCharge, but I wouldn't really advise this. If you just leave the car's timer set for every day, but with a time sufficiently late as to ensure it won't kick in before you want even if you're charging from 0%, then you'd get the same result. But you'd have the added redundancy of the car's timer kicking in (most of the time) even if the RavCharge or Entune servers go down, or if your car's not getting a cell signal, or whatever else.

EDIT: Another reason I'd advise against this approach is that some days you might stay out late and come home and plug in after RavCharge's start time. In that case you'd have to remember to choose "Charge immediately" when you turn off your car, or else you'll wake up empty. If you left the car's timer on, you should still get a charge, even if it starts later than you want. This scenario is the reason for my 20 minute later backup charge attempt, but of course that can only do so much.

miimura wrote:
BTW, what does RavCharge do when it's time for a timer event and the car is not plugged in? Does it know that and skip the event? I'm just wondering about the extraneous Entune e-mails mentioned above.
I addressed that question here. Unlike the car's built-in timer, the information that RavCharge has about whether the car is plugged in is only as good as the last update. I could set RavCharge to do a status update some time before a scheduled charge, but then there'd be some risk of the car getting plugged in between the status update and the timer event, or the status update not completing and a charge being skipped because of incorrect information about plug status.

Since my #1 goal is 100% activation of scheduled charges, for now RavCharge just goes ahead and sends the command (and sends it a lot), regardless of what information it has about the car being plugged in or not. So you probably would get a number of nuisance emails from Entune if you didn't plug in and had a timer set. If you want to avoid this you could just go to RavCharge on your phone and turn the timer off for the day. Changing the timer settings via RavCharge is much less painful than having to go out to your car and deal with its terrible interface.

Now that I think about this last part, maybe a cool feature would be a "skip the next charge" button that turns the timer off for a night but then automatically turns it back on so you don't have to remember to...

EDIT: Now that I think about this some more, maybe the risk isn't really that high, and it'd be nice to avoid hammering Entune with charge start requests when people are intentionally unplugged (not to mention avoiding all those "charge failure" emails). I'm working on implementing a "Plug check" option for the charge timers now.

If you choose this option, RavCharge will do a status update immediately before sending a charge start command. If the update fails, it'll go ahead and try to start charging anyway. If the update succeeds, it'll only send the charge start command if it has confirmed that you're plugged in and not already charging. Due to the time required for a status update to go through, charges will probably start a few minutes after the time you specify if you select this option. I'll test it on my car tonight and probably make it live tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 am 
Site Moderator

fooljoe wrote:
Now that I think about this last part, maybe a cool feature would be a "skip the next charge" button that turns the timer off for a night but then automatically turns it back on so you don't have to remember to...

EDIT: Now that I think about this some more, maybe the risk isn't really that high, and it'd be nice to avoid hammering Entune with charge start requests when people are intentionally unplugged (not to mention avoiding all those "charge failure" emails). I'm working on implementing a "Plug check" option for the charge timers now.

If you choose this option, RavCharge will do a status update immediately before sending a charge start command. If the update fails, it'll go ahead and try to start charging anyway. If the update succeeds, it'll only send the charge start command if it has confirmed that you're plugged in and not already charging. Due to the time required for a status update to go through, charges will probably start a few minutes after the time you specify if you select this option. I'll test it on my car tonight and probably make it live tomorrow.

I agree with this approach Joe. This morning I got "six" nuisance email notifications, all between midnight and about 20 minutes later, telling me RavCharge requests to charge had failed. Of course, these were to be expected because I intentionally left the car unplugged last night as it was still nearly fully charged already. This new approach will cut way down on such nuisance emails, and still get the job done!

. . . Oops, looks like you already did it! There is now a "Plug Check" checkbox in the latest version of RavCharge, I presume for this new feature. Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:53 am 

Dsinned wrote:
fooljoe wrote:

I agree with this approach Joe. This morning I got "six" nuisance email notifications, all between midnight and about 20 minutes later, telling me RavCharge requests to charge had failed. Of course, these were to be expected because I intentionally left the car unplugged last night as it was still nearly fully charged already. This new approach will cut way down on such nuisance emails, and still get the job done!
I agree. Taking advantage of the status info available is the better way, especially if the code can differentiate between Plugged, Unplugged, and Status Timeout.

My car did successfully charge last night with RavCharge, but generated 5 Entune emails. 1:10 Fail, 1:12 Start, 1:13 Start, 1:30 Start, 3:06 Complete. If the status shows that the car is actively charging, then the 20 minutes later one should be avoided.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 35  Next