Auto Folding Mirror Module Install Video

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobayimage

Please forgive me, this is the first video I’ve ever shot

Video on YouTube and instructions below for “Auto Folding Mirror Module Install Video

For the YouTube video on how to install the Mirror Module go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvbZ8p-LLZo

To buy the universal auto lock side mirror folding system module go to:
http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Mirror-Folding-Overload-Protection/dp/B00D0TB0C0/?tag=myelecarfor-20&/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371417490&sr=8-2&keywords=auto+folding+mirror+module

INSTRUCTIONS FOR REMOVING PANELS & TRIM PIECES TO ACCESS WIRE CONNECTIONS

To make the installation quicker you can remove the necessary panels and trim pieces first, before you connect the mirror module. Push the two front seats fully back and release the parking brake.

Remove the center consul mirror control panel by putting your fingers through the rubber surrounding of the parking brake slot and pushing up on the mirror control panel from underneath. This will give you room to insert a pry tool and remove panel the box.

Disconnect the white and black plugs under the box. No tool is needed to unplug just look for the little tab near the wire end of the plug and push in on the tab and the plug to slide it out. This is true for all the plugs.

Remove both of the big shiny black side trim pieces either side of the shifter knob by first pulling out and up on the rear end and then snapping out the front ends. Use the pry tool when necessary.

The trim piece around the shifter handle will come off by pulling up and disconnect the attached plug by pushing in on the tab.

It’s easier partly remove the cup holders to be able to thread the two wires going to the left door area. Take out the two screws (don’t lose them) and pull up on the back end. The panel just in front of the cup holders will stay attached so partly snap them out also.

Remove the gray panel just left of the steering wheel with the pry tool, inserted at the top and snap out the square panel..

Take out the four screws on the bottom edge of the dash panel either side steering wheel (don’t lose them)

Remove the sound proof panel by the foot pedals and with the pry tool remove the gray large panel below the steering wheel.

By hand remove the plastic screw on the inner part of the black trim piece by the driver’s carpet foot pad

With the pry tool, unsnap the front section of the bottom door frame trim (rocker panel)

Unsnap the top front part of the bottom door frame trim and disconnect from the bottom piece to give you access to the wire plugs.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLATION OF AUTO MIRROR MODULE

#1 through #7 connections are at center consul with #8 & #9 by left front door

1. Black Module wire taps into the car’s Black and White stripped ground wire, use small gauge connector

#2 through &7 connections are made in wires from the car’s white plug of the center consul, use small gauge connectors

2. Yellow Module wire taps into car’s Grey wire on the car’s white plug

3. Cut the car’s White and Purple wires in the center between the white plug the wire bundle-side

4. Connect White Module wire to Purple wire on the white car’s plug-side

5. Connect Grey Module wire to White wire on the white car’s plug-side

6. Connect Orange Module wire to White wire on car’s bundle-side

7. Connect Brown Module wire to Purple wire on car’s bundle-side

8. Add 4 Ft to Red Module wire & thread through dash & tap to thick Blue wire, constant +12 volt, thru the access panel left of steering wheel, use large 12 GWA T-Tap Splice on car’s Blue wire, attach a male terminal on end of Red Module wire to plug into T-Tap splice connector

9. Add 4 Ft to Blue Module wire & thread through the dash, unplug the bottom right plug of the cluster near the floor & tap into the single Red wire with blue dots (door close signal wire) use small gauge connector

10. Plug in all the plugs removed and connect the Module to it’s plug. Test the mirror module & replace the trim pieces and you’re done.

Things that may help with the module install

Small pliers to squeeze wire tap connectors,
Wire cutters,
Plastic pry tool (Harbor Freight $5.00) to help remove trim pieces and access panels,
2 different colored 4 foot lengths small gauge 18-16 AWG to extend module wires to make connections near left door,
9 wire tap splice connectors 18-16 AWG for small gauge wire connections,
1 T-Tap splice connector 12-10 AWG with one male terminal to tap constant +12 volts next to steering wheel.

When you have followed the instructions and made the proper connections the mirrors will:
Open up when you turn on the ignition
Close when you lock the car

sobayimage,
Thanks for taking the time to put this video of the mod that dark showed us all how to do.
The link to the original thread is here: http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=455

I finished installing today. I watched the video over and over until I felt comfortable. I can't believe I did it and it worked. No more pressing the button to fold my mirrors.

When I saw your post about the auto retract mirrors I could not wait to order mine. I found one on Amazon at half price around $12. So I ordered it. When it came in I gathered all my stuff and went to work. The panels were not hard to pull thanks to your insight. I hooked everything up and then found that it did not work. I at first fretted that I had not done the wires correctly. I went back per your video and verified that they were correct. I then suspected the unit, after all at half price... But I the decided to try and test each connection. I used quick connects, but started to suspect that they were not making a good connection. Because it was difficult to check continuity with my meter, I ended up taking them apart and just stripping the ends and connecting them. I taped each splice up. By the time I was finished I was getting some activity. The last wire was the blue wire to the left door. So I ended up just skipping all the connectors and going with splices and tape. I guess the connectors I had were not small enough to pierce the insulation on the in board wires but small enough to pierce the insulation in the wires from the mirror module. Oh well, everything works perfectly now. I have to find a good source for the connectors. The ones I have are just not working correctly. What do you guys use when the diameter or gage of the wire is different enough to pierce one and not the other. I used red connectors. Some worked some did not. Ideally I should have soldered the splices but what the hell they will hold together for the next three years.
Manny

Shecek said:
I finished installing today. I watched the https://www.tenderbuttons.com/d-bal-review-results dbal video over and over until I felt comfortable. I can't believe I did it and it worked. No more pressing the button to fold my mirrors.

You have no idea how helpful this was. Thanks for the instructions! I got my mirrors sorted out now.

Need help...

The link took me to a module with different colored wires. If orange and brown are the same for the plug side, but the harness side connects to blue and green but which to which.
I have a purple and white not used, and not confident the yellow is going to the right place.

Does anybody know what the whit and purple control, or even the grey for that matter.

Back