How to enable Low Speed Noise maker?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtManz

I got my rav4ev 2nd hand and it has never made a low speed noise. I remember reading references that there is a low speed noise maker. Does anybody have instructions or information on how to check if mine has one and how to enable it?

Is this something relatively accessible for end users or is this a "find an ev-qualified mechanic" type of fix? (I'm outside CA)

ALL Rav4 EVs have the "pedestrian warning system." It may have been disabled by a previous owner. If so, that is typically done by unplugging the speaker. I believe you would need to re-connect the speaker connector. The plug is in the vicinity of the 12V battery. If I recall you may need to remove the 12V battery for access. You can search it on this forum and get better information, as there were discussions about disabling the noisemaker here.

You can reach down and replug it with out removing anything. It is reachable with the arm last i checked. It's down south on the left side (driver side) in the gap area where the battery is. It is round at the head and bolted to the bottom frame of the rav4 ev. Basically if you see a cable dangling with a connector then it was probably unplugged. You just have to replug it.

Before I discovered RAV4EVs, I was going to buy a Leaf, and during the online education process I ran into threads about the Leaf's Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians (VSP), and an interesting tidbit is that you get a MIL if you unplug its speaker. Someone found the correct value of resistor to substitute in circuit to prevent that.

The low speed noise maker is a speaker that is under the 12v battery. Its hard to get to. But like the other poster said, if you see a plug loose hanging down there, someone before you unplugged it. It was common to unplug it. If it is still plugged in the speaker might have blown. I happen to have an extra if you need it. They arent expensive.

I found a couple of pictures online but wasn't able to find a matching part on my rav.
I removed the 12V battery, the plastic base it sits on and the metal frame THAT sits on (held by 4 bolts).
I didn't find any plug that looked like the big square plug and I couldn't find anything that looked like the speaker... maybe it was staring at me and I just didn't recognize it?

does anybody have other pictures that could help point it out?

This is what I found in the forum
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=948&p=26446&hilit=low+speed+proximity#p26446

This is what I found in the car...
https://imgur.com/a/ywAx0mP

Thank you.
that's very helpful. I'll go back in and try to find it and see if it's disconnected...
I think I see that in the pictures, I didn't know to look under that hose.

Back