Maintenance Guide

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yblaser

Since a lot of potential buyers, especially out of state buyers, are interested in the maintenance schedule I thought I would summarize it here.

5,000 miles or 6 months
Maintenance A

10,000 miles or 12 months
Maintenance A

15,000 miles or 18 months
Maintenance B

20,000 miles or 24 months
Maintenance A

25,000 miles or 30 months
Maintenance A

30,000 miles or 36 months
Maintenance C

35,000 miles or 42 months
Maintenance A

40,000 miles or 48 months

Maintenance A

45,000 miles or 54 months
Maintenance B

50,000 miles or 60 months

Maintenance A
__Replace motor coolant
__Replace traction battery coolant

55,000 miles or 66 months
Maintenance A

60,000 miles or 72 months
Maintenance C

65,000 miles or 78 months
Maintenance A

70,000 miles or 84 months
Maintenance A

75,000 miles or 90 months
Maintenance B

80,000 miles or 96 months
Maintenance A

85,000 miles or 102 months
Maintenance A

90,000 miles or 108 months
Maintenance C

95,000 miles or 114 months
Maintenance A

100,000 miles or 120 months
Maintenance A plus:
__Replace heater coolant
__Replace transaxle lubricant
__Replace motor coolant
__Replace traction battery coolant

Maintenance A
__Check installation of driver's floor mat
__Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
__Rotate tires
__Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Inspect the following:
__Battery coolant
__Health Check
__Motor/Inverter coolant

Additional maintenance items for special operating conditions:
Driving on dirt roads or dusty roads:
__Inspect ball joints and dust covers
__Inspect drive shaft boots
__Inspect steering linkages and boots
__Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis and body
Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading:

Maintenance B
__Rotate tires
__Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

Inspect the following:
__Ball joints and dust covers
__Battery coolant
__Brake lines and hoses
__Drive shaft boots
__Health Check
__Heater Coolant
__Motor/Inverter coolant
__Radiator, condenser, hoses and/or intercooler
__Steering gear box
__Steering linkage and boots

Note: Driving in heavy traffic, on dirt roads or in urban, dusty or desert areas may shorten the life of the cabin air filter. Replacement may be needed if you notice reduced air flow from the air conditioner and heater or if the windows fog easily when you use the “Fresh” mode. Consult your dealer if any of these conditions occur.

Maintenance C
__Replace cabin air filter
__Rotate tires

Inspect the following:
__Ball joints and dust covers
__Battery coolant
__Brake lines and hoses
__Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
__Drive shaft boots
__Health check
__Heater coolant
__Motor/Inverter coolant
__Radiator, condenser, hoses and/or intercooler
__Steering gear box
__Steering linkage and boots

Does it say anywhere that all maintenance schedule is mandatory to keep the warranty status current, like the LEAF's 1-yr battery check?

occ said:
Does it say anywhere that all maintenance schedule is mandatory to keep the warranty status current, like the LEAF's 1-yr battery check?

It states: "Maintaining your vehicle according to the recommendations in this booklet is required to ensure that your warranty coverage remains intact....Toyota will not deny a warranty claim solely because you do not have records to show that you maintained your vehicle. However, damage or failure caused by lack of proper maintenance are not covered under warranty.... Maintenance and repair services may be performed by you or by any automotive service provider you choose."

When looking under the hood the other day I noticed that the traction battery and motor coolant reservoirs had a sticker stating to replace the coolant every 50,000 miles. I realized the maintenance booklet that comes with the car completely omits the service interval for these coolant loops, so I have edited the OP to include this maintenance.

Thanks for posting this. Any idea of whether the traction battery and motor coolant replacement requires dropping the battery (and thus requiring the special tools only to be found in the select 50 Cali dealerships)? Everything else seems doable locally.

Unfortunately I have not seen a maintenance manual, so I do not know what is involved in a coolant change. This is pure speculation, but I have got to imagine that there is a drain point somewhere in the system which would not require battery removal.

Has anyone taken their car in for a 50K service?

I took my car over to Longo in El Monte and the quote for replacing two coolants was $800+. Is this quote correct and is it mandatory on a lease since the maintenance schedule says 50K miles or 60 months?

Totalchaos said:
Has anyone taken their car in for a 50K service?

I took my car over to Longo in El Monte and the quote for replacing two coolants was $800+. Is this quote correct and is it mandatory on a lease since the maintenance schedule says 50K miles or 60 months?

I hope a kiss comes with that.

Magnussan Toyota in Palo Alto gave a quote of $475 to flush both G48 coolent for the battery and motor. Approx. 2 hours labor and 4 gallons of G48 @ $40 per gallon.

Anyone done this yet?

As this post has been quiet for a while, curious if now that more time has passed if other folks have had the 50K service done yet and how much it cost? I was just quoted $707.00 at Carson Toyota here in Southern California. Had no idea the fluid change out would be so expensive.

While I ended up not needing the 50k service due to warranty replacements of both the drivetrain and battery pack which took care of the fluids in the 50k service visit, I did receive lower quotes from both Cabe Toyota and Hamer. Definitely worth calling various dealers as the 50k service price seems to vary quite a bit. Also, if you have your tires rotated elsewhere be sure to mention that as they'll drop that from the service visit cost making it even lower.

Luckyduckie said:
Magnussan Toyota in Palo Alto gave a quote of $475 to flush both G48 coolent for the battery and motor. Approx. 2 hours labor and 4 gallons of G48 @ $40 per gallon.

Anyone done this yet?

$687 today at the same dealer.

When I picked up my car from Toyota of El Cajon from DU replacement, I asked the parts dept. about the G48 coolant. They had it in stock and it was $28 per gallon.

I’m at 85,000 miles in only 3 years. My dealer is quoting $1000 of this. That seems outrageously high. They say I need 16 gallons of two types of coolant. Is this right?

daddyfixit said:
I’m at 85,000 miles in only 3 years. My dealer is quoting $1000 of this. That seems outrageously high. They say I need 16 gallons of two types of coolant. Is this right?
16 gallons is plainly ridiculous. The full EV coolant service should be less than $500 even at full-boat dealership pricing.

For the drive unit coolant loop, system capacity is 5.8 liters; for the battery coolant loop, capacity is 7.8 L.

The specified coolant is Zerex G 48 or Glysantin G 48, diluted 50/50 with deionized water.

Back