JdeMO from a an ex-Tesla employees point of view

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

While charging at a Whole foods in Redwood city a guy walks up and says "I worked on your car." Turns out he was an ex-engineer from Tesla.

I don't think he had seen the JdeMO before but one interesting thing he said was that the reason Toyota didn't include fast charging, and likely why most electric cars that don't have fast charging don't have fast charging, is that these cars are compliance cars. There was no requirement by anyone incentivizing electric cars therefore they didn't include it. I think he mentioned the BMW engineers contemplating it but that they just couldn't be bothered as they didn't have much to gain by including it.

Not a huge news flash but I thought it was interesting to hear it from someone who was involved.

It is not surprising that management felt there was no need for fast charging on their compliance car. However, if they had included it, they may not have had to put so much money on the hood to move the cars when they were selling as new. The traditional automakers didn't want to make their electric cars too desirable, but if they had tried a little harder they would not have had to pay people to take them.

Back