OEM Tow Hitch = 17 Bolts. Aftermarket Hitch = 4 bolts only?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/729-rav4-4th-generation-2013/169545-rav4-towing-capacity.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/97-4-3-exterior/105530-towing-capacity.html

I would highly recommend that you get the OEM 3500lb hitch, it has 17 bolts to connect it to the sub frame, aftermarket hitches only use 4 which would work fine for towing a utility trailer or a hitch mounted bike haul, but to tow any significant weight, the unibody needs more surface attachment to spread the load over more sheet metal since the Rav4 has no real frame.

The OEM hitch from Toyota is much beefier than most (all?) aftermarket hitches. Aftermarket hitches bolt on with either 4 or maybe 6 bolts, the OEM hitch attaches with upwards of 20 bolts.

DVS, I don't agree with the 4/6 and 20+ bolt hitch comparison since the "extra" bolts are pretty puny little ones

All the aftermarket hitches just attach to the frame (box frame made of sheet metal in the unibody vehicles). They have heavy round or square tubes extending from the mounting plates to the central receiver and are all designed to extend well below the rear bumper cover for clearance.

Toyota's factory hitch replaces the extruded aluminum crash bar inside the plastic bumper cover and has heavy multi-plate steel U-shaped plates which extend underneath the sheet metal of the body's rear lip and connect to stiffener plates which wrap around the box frame sections, strengthening them considerably.

In my opinion, there's no fair comparison between aftermarket and factory receiver hitches. The factory hitch hardly impacts the departure angle of the vehicle over obstacles while all the aftermarket ones all hang down below the bodywork and definitely reduce ground clearance at the rear.

The aftermarket hitches also do nothing to strengthen the box frame which can lead to excessive bending forces on bumpy roads and can more easily cause damage to the frame in a rear end fender-bender. This just happened to me in my last car (2012 Prius V) with an aftermarket hitch. The rear end collision caused over $7000 in damage which could be directly attributed to the hitch bending the box frame sections. If the hitch hadn't been installed (according to the body shop) the frame probably would not have been bent but other body damage may have resulted. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

I feel that if you're going to pull anything more than a light utility or single motorcycle trailer with your Rav4, you should pay the extra for the factory hitch. Most aftermarket hitches are about $100 to $150 while the Toyota PZQ64-42096 hitch can be had for around $450 from discount dealers online. I think it'll be worth the extra $300-$350 myself for peace of mind. I'll be towing a teardrop trailer which, even dry, weighs over 1500 pounds. No cheap aftermarket hitches for me...

BoatRav1.jpg

To anyone who installed a tow hitch on their RAV4 EV I was looking into the info myself and stumbled on this. Is this true? OEM has 17 bolts for the frame while after market only 4? I recall reading a tow hitch thread by Tony, but I don't recall if he mentioned 17 bolts in total....

Also, 1500 tow capacity for the i4 cyl rav. 3500 tow capacity for the v6? ... but I have also seen some posts saying up to 5,000 lbs?

The identical RAV4 V-6 with tow prep in Australia is rated to tow 4188 lbs with brakes on the trailer. The older 2.4l four banger is rated for 3306, again with trailer brakes.

According to Toyota, if you don't have the Tow-Prep package then your RAV4 is only good for pulling a 2,000 lb trailer, instead of 3,500.

Evidently the Tow-Prep setup has a larger radiator and alternator, as well as a transmission cooler. When you're in hot country pulling a heavy load you'll need that extra heat dissipation capability to avoid overheating the engine and/or tranny.

Anyone know if the RAV4 EV could overheat towing? Anyone had it over heat at all? Wish it displayed current temp on the dash.

One easy and simple way to increase the tow capacity on any car is to fit smaller diameter/lower profile/high performance tires. They increase the torque (at the wheels), reduce the load on the engine, transmission and axles, increase the braking power, increase the traction, lower the center of gravity, and have more wet and dry traction than standard tires.

Here's a PDF to the Toyota kit, for 2013 and newer with a spare tire where our third row seating went.

Remember, the 2012-2014 Rav4 EV is based on just one car... the 2012 Rav4. This stuff won't fit our car:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/installation/my13%20rav4%20tow%20hitch%20issc.pdf

The 2012 RAV4 with V6 engine has a 3,500 lb towing capacity (with the factory hitch) and 1,021 lb maximum payload.
The RAV4 EV has 0 towing capacity and 973 lb maximum payload.

The EV simply does not display any useful information related to how it might be overheating in the drive unit. Toyota simply didn't do any testing to find out what it's towing capability might be.

TonyWilliams said:
Here's a PDF to the Toyota kit, for 2013 and newer with a spare tire where our third row seating went.

Remember, the 2012-2014 Rav4 EV is based on just one car... the 2012 Rav4. This stuff won't fit our car:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/installation/my13%20rav4%20tow%20hitch%20issc.pdf

Hi tony!

Always here to save the day :)

You did some towing with your rav4 ev didn't you? Since the vehicle isn't tested for towing does this mean we are all alone if we get into an accident? As in insurance won't cover anything?

Back