Filed a complaint with NHTSA today

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry_in_Seattle

I took my 2013 RAV4 EV to the nearest Toyota dealer, Toyota of Lake City (Seattle, WA) today to schedule the NHTSA recall NO. 15V-577 wiper motor recall work. They turned me away without lifting a finger to assist. They didn't call corporate, didn't call regional, wouldn't listen when I told them to call Kevin Spillane or do anything at all.

Even when I told them that yes, they could actually have the work done there and they could verify it with one simple phone call, they refused. This included both the Service adviser, Greg Dobrinen, and the service manager, Chris Stroud. I asked Chris Stroud directly for the name of the regional person who told them that they could NOT help. He told me he couldn't give me his name. What a crock!

The recall letter specifically says "If you feel that the dealer or Toyota has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a claim to the Administrator, NHTSA..." I used the online option rather than the 888 number or mailing option. (www.safercar.gov)

I will follow up with my own call to Kevin, but I'm sick and tired of being treated like crap by an authorized Toyota dealer and service center. Last time (seatbelt recall) I had to have Kevin intervene with another dealer and he said that the word had been sent out to the regional folks that the local dealers can help. Apparently not... or at least it's one more example of the failed trickle down theory.

Perhaps filing an official complaint with the NHTSA will help to wake up the Toyota organization that they can't have dealers blowing off local Toyota owners, even if they have hated RAV4 EV.

Anyone else face difficulties getting national safety recall work done at non-EV Toyota dealers? If so, I encourage you to also file a formal complaint through the NHTSA. It's very easy and quick to do online.

In the past, the local Toyota dealer refused to touch the car...... even if i paid. this was 2+ years ago.

i went to the same dealer for the seat belt and wiper recall, this past summer, and they were happy to do the work. i was told they have a page in their computer that tells them which work they can do.

The saga continues:

Kevin Spillane from Toyota corporate called me back today regarding my hassles with Toyota of Lake City (Seattle). (BOO HISS)

He reiterated that "ANY Toyota dealer nationwide" can do the non-EV work on our cars! He then said that each dealership is independently owned and operated and that they CAN refuse to service any car for whatever reason. WTF??? He said it's extremely rare, but that's the position that Lake City took, "for whatever unknown reason."

Kevin then said he'd contact the next nearest dealer to me (Magic Toyota in Edmonds, WA) and see if they'll do it. And if they also refuse, he'll ask Toyota of Kirkland (WA) which has done the many recall / warranty services for area EV owners including both of the first 2 recalls for my car. Not very conveniently located, but at least they'll do it.

Takeaways:
1. I'll be boycotting Toyota of Lake City and letting others know of how they treat a certain segment of Toyota owners. Even if Toyota were to come out with the most fantastic new EV that I HAVE to buy- I would NEVER buy it from Toyota of Lake City.

2. Kevin Spillane (and the corporate Toyota folks supporting him) is a treasure for all of us RAV4 EV owners, especially those out of California.

3. Owning this EV outside of CA has it's challenges, but they are not unconquerable. I keep hoping that the local dealers will "get it" and at least be helpful to us, but at least there IS a pathway for support.

Plenty of reasons to slam Toyota in conjunction with this car, and I do my share of it. BUT, I also believe in praising what they do right, and this help from Kevin is one of those things.

Larry_in_Seattle said:
. . . Toyota of Lake City (Seattle, WA) . . . NHTSA recall NO. 15V-577 . . .

The recall letter specifically says "If you feel that the dealer or Toyota has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a claim to the Administrator, NHTSA..." I used the online option rather than the 888 number or mailing option. (http://www.safercar.gov)

Any feedback on this process (any news from NHTSA on it)?

NHTSA never got back to me other than originally acknowleding receipt of my complaint if I recall correctly.

I ended up calling Kevin Spillane at HQ and he made 1 call to ToK who then called to schedule my recall work.

Back