Best generator to charge Rav EV?

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo69ny

Here in NY, charging stations arent as prevalent as in CA.

Im hoping to cover my butt on longer trips by purchasing a generator that can charge my Rav if needed. Something high amperage and voltage would be best.

I've read that a unit with a perfect, unmodified sine wave is best but which unit should I buy?.

(Id also include it as a tax deduction so Id like to have it to power my office or apartment houses i need.

THanks for our help!

Honda inverter type, as large as you can afford. I recall the model EU5000iS, but it no longer appears on Honda's site. EM5000iS or EU7000iS seem to be the closest, and in fact are the only inverter models that output 240V. These are approximately $3,500-$4,500.

miimura said:
Honda inverter type, as large as you can afford. I recall the model EU5000iS, but it no longer appears on Honda's site. EM5000iS or EU7000iS seem to be the closest, and in fact are the only inverter models that output 240V. These are approximately $3,500-$4,500.

Two of the Honda EU7000iS will allow full 40 amp "continuous" loads. One singular unit is 22 amps.

That's what I recommend.

This is not an area to get cheap. Plus, you can use it at your house as a backup generator with computers and electronics.

These units are heavy, at about 270 pounds each, so two of them are too heavy to just bolt on the rear bumper. I'd put them on a small trailer, and then you can open the rear door. With a small amount of electronics, you could power the car like the Euro version of the BMW i3 "REX".

Just drive the car a bit to burn down the battery, then use the remote start option to "spin up the APU". That will provide 9.6kW to the charger, or 85% of that into the battery (8.1kW).

If you start on a 227 mile trip at 60-65mph, you could drive for 3.5 hours.

Range at start with new condition battery of 41.8kWh, 70F degrees, level road, no wind, no heater:

Hour 0 - 142 miles plus 3.4 hours generator @ 27.5 miles per hour equals 93.5 miles extra, 235 miles total.

Hour 1 - 104.5 miles net (65 miles burned, 27.5 miles added @ 40 amps / 240 volt)

Hour 2 - 67.0 miles net

Hour 3 - 29.5 miles net

Hour 3.5 - 21 miles net remaining

I made the trip end here, because you need a reserve and the batteries will degrade. But, anywhere along the trip, you can either plug into any electrical outlet and have lunch, or add petrol to the generators while waiting to add power. In addition, towing the 1000 pound trailer will definitely put a dent in economy, so the actual range is probably closer to 200 miles over about 3 hours.

I wonder it the original RAV4 fuel tank will fit? Probably.

The cost and weight to do this makes a bigger battery seem pretty smart.

But they have:
"TruePower technology that provides clean, smooth operation of sensitive electronics, tools, and appliances"

Whatever that means! :)

DevinL said:
I have a 15 year old version of that 10kW Generac (10000EXL) I inherited sitting around that I was trying to make run so I can sell it. In doing research it seems like the Hondas are much better quality.
Just like any other ICE, generators need to be started periodically to remain in working condition. Permanently installed backup generators usually auto-start weekly and run for 10 minutes or so.

miimura said:
DevinL said:
I have a 15 year old version of that 10kW Generac (10000EXL) I inherited sitting around that I was trying to make run so I can sell it. In doing research it seems like the Hondas are much better quality.
Just like any other ICE, generators need to be started periodically to remain in working condition. Permanently installed backup generators usually auto-start weekly and run for 10 minutes or so.
Indeed they do. This generator hasn't been started for ages, but I only ended up with it a few months ago. I don't think my Generac's experience is any indication of their current product (I really can't blame them for the thing sitting for over a decade) but while I've been digging around the internet in order to get the thing working again, I stumbled across more information about generators than I thought I'd ever need to know. Based on what I've read, if I had to go buy a generator I would certainly look at a Honda over a Generac.

Skip the generator idea. You now drive an EV. Need to change the mindset.
Otherwise better to just rent a car or truck as needed.

I love this V2V charging solution.

http://www.andromedapower.com/uploads/ORCA_Inceptive_Datasheet.pdf

video of product in use at
http://www.andromedapower.com/

Tony, are you a reseller?

and i;m having hard time finding the CHAdeMO port on my Rav4, Were is your located?

Hi Cuehugh,
I've ordered the CHAdeMO upgrade from Quick Charge Power.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/ChadeMo-Charging-for-Rav4EV-Purchase-for-0-to-show-interest-JdeMo.htm;jsessionid=7806D818F6617F310B4A10305F20C7DE.m1plqscsfapp04

Details and early prototype pics can be found on this thread.
http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=849&hilit=jdemo&start=330

Kohler Controller said:
I love this V2V charging solution.

http://www.andromedapower.com/uploads/ORCA_Inceptive_Datasheet.pdf

video of product in use at
http://www.andromedapower.com/

Tony, are you a reseller?

No, we don't deal with them (anymore). The last rumor was they were getting sued and the principal fled the USA.

Do keep in mind that using the generator to charge an EV will result in bad emissions and fuel economy compared to a normal ICE vehicle. Those small engines don't have to meet the emissions and fuel consumption requirements that a car does. I'd recommend just driving an ICE rather than going to this much trouble to drive an EV.

I think a bigger battery combined with a JaDemo is the the best way to go. I could charge at home off my PV panels and when I am on the road I could charge at a ChaDemo station. (if there are ever any installed in NY)

It bet it would cost as much as a good quality generator.

Just buy a VOLT or PHEV and claim legitimate tax cuts that way. A tax cut based on buying a portable genset is probably a reach unless its required for your employment.

Back