battery coolant flush. DIY

Toyota Rav4 EV Forum

Help Support Toyota Rav4 EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRav4ev

Hi all,

I am up in Victoria BC canada with my 2014 RAV4 EV

Their is no one around who will work on this EV, and I had a bit of an accident! A curb bumped my battery coolant line off and emptied it. I need to flush the air out of the system as I refill it. I no that these flushes are at a dealership only, I just don't have that luxury!

I figure by using the 120volt charger cable, it will turn the coolant pump on creating minimal battery stress... I would put a couple of T fittings into the co,olant line and just keep it easy to flush in the future... or am I completely out to lunch?! Everything i have read suggests that you need to take it in and hook it up to a computer to turn on the coolant pump. No ones ever even tried anything else. If you have to access the coolant pump by computer to flush your fluid... why not turn it on with your 120v charge plug????

Any thoughts, ideas, anything at all would be appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone!

Evan

When the dealer replaced my drive unit, they did not flush the air and I go battery overheating messages the next day. When I took it back, the reservoir was empty. They just topped it off and it's been fine ever since (over a year).

I don't think you need to "flush the air," just keep extra coolant in the car for a few days and top-off daily. Probably stay away from sport mode fully charged and aggressive driving for a day. just my opinion.

Back